Feature Request - Remote Location Deployment Idea

My name is Adam and our company Chatham Financial is thinking about using Octopus to deploy our software. I would love to see one feature implemented that would greatly increase the usefulness of Octopus for us.

We have a lot of remote locations that we currently deploy to. Due to this, we will be setting up multiple NuGet Repositories to host the files to deploy and keep them synced. The model I would like to create is to deploy to each location using the correct NuGet Repository so it has the least latency. Could you add a feature to Octopus to specify the NuGet Repository per environment created? For example, I could have a United States Prod environment and a UK Prod environment. The UK environment would have its own NuGet Repository which Octopus would use for its installations and the US environment would have it’s own as well. I think this would be a tremendously useful feature for our company.

Hi Adam,

If you can find a way to do this using DNS then we can already support it. You can have Tentacle download the packages from the NuGet server directly. If you make the hostname for your NuGet repository resolve to the closest NuGet repository in that environment, the Tentacle will use that repository.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Unfortunately setting up DNS is out of control for our DevOps team. This feature seems like it would be better as a configuration value rather than DNS within Octopus itself. DNS and location services seems a bit unreliable and we are looking for a very solid solution. Especially if we are autoscaling, which DNS doesn’t always play nice with. If you have other ideas, please let me know.

Thank You,

Adam

Hi Adam,

Unfortunately the only other way would be to create a different step using a different feed. For Octopus 2.0 we’ll make it easier to use parameters to dynamically select feeds like this.

Paul