Feature Request: Import/Export deployment specifications

I currently work in a highly regulated environment where our developers would never be given permission to modify a production environment (Octopus would unfortunately count as production). Due to this, we would have to run independent instances for our different environments (TEST, QA & PARALLEL, PROD).

As a developer, I would like to be able to build the deployment specification on our one instance of Octopus, export it and then import it into another environment.

Hi Matthew,

Nice suggestion, import/export would be useful for all kinds of reasons, I’ll add it to the backlog.

Will the permissions support in the next version of Octopus help in your situation? You would be able to set up rules like “developers can only delploy to dev” and “only this group can modify production”. That might save you needing to set up so many instances.

Paul

As long as it could be set up such that developers could define the deployments (possibly exclusively developers) and our Networks team would be the only ones who could initiate the actual deploys, then yes it would solve the issue I would be running into.

Hi Matthew,

The 1.0 releases of Octopus that came out a couple of weeks ago should now allow you to lock down e.g. your production environment to prevent developers being able to deploy to it. Let me know if that isn’t enough

Paul