Fatal exception errror on import form 1.6 to 2.3.3

I am currently working on doing a side by side upgrade to our current production Octopus server. I have installed version 2.3.3 and then ran through the import wizard. I get the following error upon completion.
A fatal exception occurred
System.Exception: One or more items require modification in the source Octopus database before the migration can proceed.
at Octopus.Server.Legacy.LegacyOctopusImporter.MakeSureEverythingIsReadyToBeMigrated() in c:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\1116bd9da9e239fd\source\Octopus.Server\Legacy\LegacyOctopusImporter.cs:line 1094
at Octopus.Server.Legacy.LegacyOctopusImporter.ImportFromBackup(String ravenDbBackupFilePath, Nullable1 tentaclePort, String upnSuffix) in c:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\1116bd9da9e239fd\source\Octopus.Server\Legacy\LegacyOctopusImporter.cs:line 89 at Octopus.Server.Commands.MigrateCommand.Start() in c:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\1116bd9da9e239fd\source\Octopus.Server\Commands\MigrateCommand.cs:line 116 at Octopus.Shared.Startup.ConsoleHost.Run(Action1 start, Action shutdown) in c:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\1116bd9da9e239fd\source\Octopus.Shared\Startup\ConsoleHost.cs:line 36

Error: The previous command returned a non-zero exit code of: 100
Error: The command that failed was: “D:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Octopus\Octopus.Server.exe” migrate --instance=“OctopusServer” --no-prompt --backup=“D:\temp\20140318-110908.octobak” --tentacle-port=“10933”

I did a search on the site and found that something like this was happening with version 2.1 so went version 2.3.3 and also made sure to remove any duplicate server names from the environment. I’m not sure what else needs to happen on my side to get the import to complete.

Hi Jeramie,

The issues that the failure is referring to will be printed in the log output, though they may be quite some way earlier than the error message. Can you please check, or send to support, the full output from the failing import process?

Many thanks!
Nick

Is it possible that having invalid characters such as a : in the step name example
Deploy Nu Get Package: cause an issue with importing from 1.6 to 2.3.3? Looking at the log it looks like we have 3 different step names with invalid characters in the name… That’s the only thing earlier in the log output…

Okay so that did take care of that error and now on to the next… Thanks again…