Failed checking for updates

We have repeated entries in the diagnostics log of Octopus Deploy, stating:

Failed checking for updates
System.Net.WebException: The request was aborted: Could not create SSL/TLS secure channel.
   at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadDataInternal(Uri address, WebRequest& request)
   at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadString(Uri address)
   at Octopus.Server.Schedules.CheckForOctopusUpgrades.CheckForUpdates() in Y:\work\refs\tags\3.3.4\source\Octopus.Server\Schedules\CheckForOctopusUpgrades.cs:line 105

Which URL and port number does Octopus Deploy use to check for updates? Requests to https://octopusdeploy.com/ from the server works, but I assume the update check API endpoint is hosted somewhere else? Where?

Hi,

Thanks for getting in touch.

The endpoint for updates is: https://octopusdeploy.com/download/upgrade/v3

Cheers,
Shane

Thanks for the information. That URI is possible to request from the server on which Octopus Deploy is installed in PowerShell (with Invoke-WebRequest), Google Chrome 50 and Internet Explorer 11.

What might be the reason why Octopus Deploy itself is unable to perform a request to that URI? Any idea how we can go about debugging this? I’d like the update check to work. :slight_smile:

Hi,

It is odd that you can access the URI from a browser but not from Octopus. Can you request that URI from a browser running as the same user the Octopus Deploy service is running as? Alternatively run Octopus temporarily as the user who could access the update endpoint and see if it works.

Cheers,
Shane

We’ve tried to request the URI from a browser run under the service account of Octopus Deploy and it works. We’ve also added the service account to the local “Administrators” group. I’ll report back if making Octopus a local administrator helps or not.

Hi again.

“Failed checking for updates” is still occurring in our logs, so I’d love some ideas on what we can do to debug the problem.

Hi,

Do you get any certificate errors when browsing the endpoint as the Octopus service account?

You could try creating a temporary project with a script step that runs on the Octopus server and calls Invoke-WebRequest. If that doesn’t work it may make it easier to diagnose.

Cheers,
Shane