Exit code -3 create or deploy release fails

Can you tell me what has happened here, what does exit code -3 mean?
[Octopus Deploy] Exit code: -3
[20:35:52][Octopus Deploy] octo exit code: -3
[20:35:52][Step 6/6] Unable to create or deploy release. Please check the build log for details on the error.
[20:35:52][Step 6/6] Unable to create or deploy release. Please check the build log for details on the error.
[20:35:52][Step 6/6] Step Octopus Create Release (OctopusDeploy: Create release) failed

Hi Elina,

There might not be enough information in your post for me to give you an answer. We’ve had build agent timeout issues resulting in “Exit code -3”. Usually there will be a bit more info in the Build log, as indicated by the error itself.

Have you checked the build log for any extra details?

If it is a timeout issue, there are several places that this can happen and the fix can be anything from increasing resources, or extending timeouts but it will depend on where this is appearing and what steps you took to get there.

Please share as much information as you can about your process up to the error and we’ll try to work together to get to the bottom of it.

Regards,

Hi, I really don’t understand much about the build log, and that was the only sort of an error message that I was able to find. But here is the entire log:AWS_Visma.net.ERP.Content_1.0.1.288.log.zip (396.9 KB)

Hi Elina,

Thanks for keeping in touch and sending through your build log. It looks like the release is created successfully, so it doesn’t look like a connectivity issue between your build server and Octopus. The deployment is kicked off correctly as well, but it looks like the deployment itself in Octopus is failing with error System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (10061): No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

This combined with the flag --waitfordeployment in your create-release command means this build step fails as it’s waiting for the deployment to complete, which doesn’t. I imagine if you log in to the Octopus UI and check out the deployment task of project help.visma.net and release 1.0.1.288-Financials that failed deployment should also report this error.

This issue usually comes down to something network-related blocking the request, most often firewall. We have a troubleshooting Tentacle documentation section that might be of help.

I’m hoping that helps narrow down the cause of this! Please let us know how you go or if you have any further questions going forward.

Best regards,

Kenny

Thank you so much, this was extremely helpful! This will also help me to understand these things better in the future as well.

Hi Elina,

Not a problem at all! Glad to hear that helped. :slight_smile:

Please don’t hesitate to reach out anytime if you have any questions or concerns.

Best regards,

Kenny

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.