Execute exe only in one server and not multiple servers in an environment

I have a scenario in which i need to execute an exe only once on the multiple tentacles in an environment . Could you please let me know on how to achieve this

Currently it is executing in all the nodes which is not correct.

Hi @Mohan_Krishna,

Thanks for getting in touch! It sounds like you want to exclude certain targets during your deployment. For this, we have the following feature. Deploy to a Specific Subset of Deployment Target

You are able to include or exclude specific deployment targets when you are deploying your project.

If this is not what you are after, I will need to get some more information about your requirements here.

Looking forward to hearing from you. :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Scenario is I has 4 servers on the load balancer which are also my tentacles in production
In one of the deployment steps i need to execute a windows exe which should run on only one of the tentacles say WS1 and not on the remaining.

I feel now the issue is more clear to you
Please help in how to achieve this

Hi @Mohan_Krishna,

Thanks for the update. I think I understand now. When you configure your Tentacles in Octopus, you are able to define a target role. You are able to have multiple target roles on each target in Octopus. This lets you dynamically decide which step is run on which Tentacle.

For example, if you have your 4 targets (WS1, WS2, WS3, WS4) with a single role, web for example. You can also add a separate role to each target.

WS1 (Roles- web, WS1)
WS2 (Roles- web, WS2)

And so on. This way, you can scope a step in your deployment to only run on WS1, while the others can be scoped to run on web which would run on all your targets.

I suggest the following documentation for more detailed information on this.

Does this make sense?

Please let me know if you have any further questions at all here. :slight_smile:

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Daniel

Thanks Daniel for the solution.

1 Like

Hi @Mohan_Krishna,

No worries at all!

Please feel free to get in touch at any time if you have any further questions. :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Daniel

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.