Excluding environments from Lifecycles

Hi,

We’re using Octopus Deploy for a while now and it is working well. We have our lifecycle configured with the “Any” phase at the start to allow us target specific environments when creating a release. We did this based on the recommendation in the documentation. The Any phase has a “Required to Progress” setting of “All must complete”.

We’re just getting another existing project set up onto Octopus and we’re running into a problem with the lifecycles. The new project, with its own lifecycle, has different environments that would not apply to the existing lifecycle we have running.

The result is that when we try to create a new release for the existing projects, instead of being able to select an environment, we are only given the option to deploy to the new environment created for a different project and that is not applicable.

How can we exclude environments from a lifecycle? There doesn’t seem to be a way to do this that I can see.

Thanks
John

Hi John,

Thanks for getting in touch,

I greatly appreciate the detailed breakdown, this really helps out!

Within the newly created Lifecycle you can exclude environments that are not required by specifying the appropriate environments in the Environments of the phase. I’ve included a screenshot of this below;

You can also change if this phase requires that deployments to all listed environments are completed before proceeding, if only a few are required or if the phase is optional altogether.

Based on the information you provided it sounds like there may be some confusion about the any phase as it’s not required to be empty to specify which environment you want to start the deployment against, by adding environments you can create more appropriate project-specific lifecycles.

I hope this helps!

If you require any further assistance or clarification, please let me know :slight_smile:

Have a great weekend!

Kind Regards,

Reece

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.