Exclude from purge IIS template.....performance hit

Hi Octopus,

We where seeing bad performance on this feature when using a wildcard match pattern for the “Exclude from purge” box. The filter looked like this: website\App_Data\logs*
Without the filter Octopus is several times faster than with the filter, when purging the folder. We basically just removed the * and an improvement of several factors was seen.

It would be nice that such a setting would not be accepted by the Octopus software or via some other gate-keeping/sanity check feature. Or am I totally bunkers her?

I also hope that other would be helped by seeing the above explanation.

Thank you.

Hi,

Yes to exclude a while folder you don’t need to add a wildcard.
Wildcards are only needed when you want to exclude specific files within a folder.
The reason it is slower is because with wildcard we do a recursive walk vs just exclude a whole folder.
This recursive walk can take longer depending on how many files that folder has and how fast the disk IO is.

Cheers
John

I’m not present at moment. I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Kind regards
Lars Bengtsson
Danske Spil A/S

Hi John,

That answer matches our assumptions, which is okay, more so, thank you for the answer and we now know what to do.

Have a great day.

Med venlig hilsen
Danske Spil A/S

Lars Slouborg Bengtsson
DevOps Engineer

Mobil +45
labe@danskespil.dkmailto:labe@danskespil.dk

Postbox 847
Korsdalsvej 135
DK 2605 Brøndby
www.danskespil.dkhttp://www.danskespil.dk/

[Beskrivelse: Beskrivelse: emailgph]

Dette er en e-mail fra Danske Spil A/S. Denne e-mail og vedhæftede bilag kan indeholde fortrolige informationer, som alene er til brug for den tiltænkte modtager. Har De ved en fejl modtaget denne e-mail, bedes De venligst straks give afsenderen besked og slette denne meddelelse og bilag fra Deres system uden at offentliggøre, reproducere, distribuere eller gøre tilsvarende brug af oplysningerne indeholdt i e-mailen. På forhånd tak.

Fra: John Simons [mailto:tender2+d8e051122b@tenderapp.com]
Sendt: 8. september 2017 01:52
Til: Lars Slouborg Bengtsson labe@danskespil.dk
Emne: Re: Exclude from purge IIS template…performance hit. [Questions #12996]

image001.png

It would be good though that this was more thoroughly explained in the “exclude from purge” text.

Hi Lars,

I have raised an issue for this https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/3786, feel free to add extra comments, or an example of the help text you would like to see.

Cheers
John