Event messages contain duplicate environment name

I’ve created a Subscription for a few event types, including DeploymentStarted.
I’ve noticed that the wording of the event messages received by my webhook is a bit unfortunate, as it duplicates the environment name, e.g. “to PROD” is duplicated here:

{    
    "Message": "Deploy to PROD started  for PROJECT_NAME release VERSION to PROD",
    "MessageHtml": "<a href='#/deployments/Deployments-173105'>Deploy to PROD</a> started  for <a href='#/projects/Projects-547'>PROJECT_NAME</a> release <a href='#/releases/Releases-143928'>VERSION</a> to <a href='#/environments/Environments-22'>PROD</a>",
}

(there is also a duplicate space in “started for” which could be removed too)

I’m trying to use the Subscriptions to implement deployment notifications for my team and shortening the messages by removing duplication would definitely be welcome.

The same might apply to other event types (e.g. for sure DeploymentSucceeded, haven’t yet checked other ones).

While cosmetics, it would be nice to see an improvement in this area.

Hi Jakub,

Thank you for reaching out to us with your query.

I’ve investigated this and I can confirm that it is by design. The first part (“Deploy to PROD”) is referring to the deployment itself, whereas the final part (“to PROD”) is actually referring to the environment. You can see that this is the case by examining the links in the HTML formatted version of the message. This is the same message which is used in the audit log.

I do see the same double spacing in my local testing and have raised a bug report so we can hopefully get it corrected. You can see and subscribe to the bug below:

I hope this helps to clarify the situation. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

Charles

Hi Charles,

I do understand that the message refers separately to the deployment and the environment. I just think the message text and structure can be improved, e.g. the first part could be just “Deploy” (not “Deploy to ENV”) or “Deployment”, while still remaining a link to the deployment. This way the messages would read more naturally, e.g.: “Deployment started for PROJECT release VERSION to ENV”, or maybe “Deploy to ENV started for PROJECT release VERSION” (with “Deploy” being a link to the deployment and “PROD” being a link to the environment).

Please also note that while the HTML version of the message has hyperlinks, so it’s visible why there is env name duplication, the plaintext version of the message looks just incorrect.

Thanks for raising the spacing as a separate issue!

Hi Jakub,

Thank you for getting back to me.

I appreciate your thoughts on this and I can completely understand. I’ve therefore highlighted this to our product team so they can consider changing the message. There’s no guarantee that they will and I’m unable to provide a timescale, however I have attached a link to this thread to the request so you should be informed if/when a decision is made.

I hope this is helpful. Please get back to us if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

Charles

Thanks for getting the feedback through.
I hope this thread will be updated, whatever the decision is (will the thread be updated even after it auto-closes after 30 days?)

Hi Jakub,

Thank you for your message.

We can reopen threads and/or send a direct message if this thread is locked by then.

I hope this is helpful. Please get back to us if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

Charles

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.