Error when deploying

I am having an issue that started after I updated to the latest version (0.9.620.3)

I have a project that deploys a single web application. I have it set to deploy to two servers in each of two environments.

After the upgrade (I don’t know what else has changed) I am getting the following error on one of the servers.
It deploys to the other server correctly. It does the same thing in both environments.

Execute step 1. Deploy Solana.WebApplications.4.43.7047.2 against tentacle devweb01

2012-02-08 17:32:28 INFO Begin deployment
2012-02-08 17:32:28 ERROR System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Octopus.Server.Tasks.Deploy.DeployPackageToTentacleActivity.GatherVariables() in c:\BuildAgent\work\7bf5272a44079f5\source\Octopus.Server\Tasks\Deploy\DeployPackageToTentacleActivity.cs:line 45
at Octopus.Server.Tasks.Deploy.DeployPackageToTentacleActivity.Execute() in c:\BuildAgent\work\7bf5272a44079f5\source\Octopus.Server\Tasks\Deploy\DeployPackageToTentacleActivity.cs:line 32
at Octopus.Shared.Activities.ActivityRuntime.RunTaskOnBackgroundThread(Object arguments) in c:\BuildAgent\work\7bf5272a44079f5\source\Octopus.Shared\Activities\ActivityRuntime.cs:line 115

+1 us too. This release is unusable between this problem and the octo.exe problem.

Is downgrading supported? Guessing not with the schema migrations.

I’m seeing this issue, too. One instance is for a project I created today, using 0.9.620.3. Another instance is for a project I created using 0.9.574.2644.

In both instances, I’m deploying a package to multiple tentacles, and it’s consistently the 2nd tentacle of the “Stage 3: Installation” that has the System.NullReference.Exception; the other tentacles typically finish the Installation without error (includes executing powershell and recognizing variables).

For the second instance, I removed from my environment the tentacle associated with the error. Upon creating a new release and deploying, I again encountered the exception, again on Stage 3, and again while handling the 2nd tentacle.

What’s strange is that on occasion I’ve been able to deploy the second project successfully, after updating to 0.9.620.3. But more often, I see the System.NullReference.Exception.

Thanks for looking at this and for adding the cool UI features.

Also having this issue.

+1 Big Problem. We can’t deploy code to our sites since the update. Send help soon. :slight_smile:

Hi,

Sorry for not replying to this thread earlier, and thanks for reporting the issue. This bug was caused by Entity Framework attempting to lazy-load a property that was added in the previous release on a different thread. The bug has been fixed, and a new build is available from:

Paul

That seems to have fixed the issue. Thanks.