Error substituting variables in file

Hi,

We’re getting a Calamari error that we’re struggling to debug.

Any idea what might be causing this? We’re not seeing anything in the log file

Hi Paul,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I am struggling to debug this one as well. I am confused about the lines “Checking for Calamari install…” and “Finding latest Calamari install…”. I can’t seem to find those lines anywhere in our Calamari code.

Could you please send the raw log of that deployment to support@octopus.com? That should help determine exactly where in the execution pipeline that error is coming from.

I have a hunch that if you were to delete Calamari version 4.15.1.-ci003 from C:\Octopus\Calamari it would get you back running again. It looks like we shipped a pre-release version of Calamari in server version 2019.2.8 which is causing problems for whatever operation is attempting to run.

I hope this helps and look forward to having a look at your logs.

Cheers,
Shane

Hi Shane,

I’ve sent a copy of the raw file to support using the reference 22803

Paul

I deleted Calamari as instructed and then redeployed - same error… The health check that runs as the first step reported the above

It’s an issue with a community step template that I’m using. It’s trying to parse the Calamari version and fails as it’s a semantic version “number”.

If you publish a release version (as opposed to a pre-release version) of Calamari it will fix it

Hi Paul,

The pre-release version was shipped in Octopus Server versions 2019.2.8-2019.3.0. If you update your Octopus Server past 2019.3.0 it should resolve the issue. You would also need to delete that pre-release Calamari again.

Cheers,
Shane

Hi Shane,

Thanks for the update. Unfortunately, we’re using Octopus Cloud so are unable to update :slight_smile:

Any thoughts as to a workaround?

Regards,
Paul

It states that the cloud version is v2019.4.3 but the issue still exists, i.e. Calamari updates to 4.15.1-ci0003

Thoughts?

Hi Paul,

That is strange, 2019.4.3 should be bundled with Calamari 4.15.7. I’ve spun up a fresh 2019.4.3 instance and can confirm it’s expecting Calamari 4.15.7. Could you setup a simple Hello World project that runs a PowerShell script `Write-Host “Hello world” on the Octopus Server, deploy it and send the raw deployment log?

Another approach would be to modify the step template. I had a look earlier and making the template SemVer compatible wasn’t as simple as I’d hoped.

Cheers,
Shane

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.