##[error]No agent found in pool XXX which satisfies the following demand: octo

I have dozens of Azure Devops pipelines that publish to Octopus.

These are generally using version 4 of the Octopus tasks (Package, Push, Create Release, etc).

I’m creating a new one (using version 5 of the Octopus tasks) and when I attempt the pipeline I get the error:

##[error]No agent found in pool XXX which satisfies the following demand: octo.

I’m guessing this is related to the ver 5 of the package? (going to test that once I’m done posting this). Was wondering if it was related to this thread:

Octopuspack change ‘Microsoft.NETCore.App’, version ‘5.0.0’ - Integration - Octopus Deploy

Thoughts welcome

B

Hi B,

Thanks for reaching out.

You’re correct this has to do with using v5 of the Octopus ADO tasks. When we made the change from v4 to v5, we no longer bundle the octo tools with the steps. Your two options if you want to continue to use v5 of the tasks would be to add the Octo Installer step to your ADO Pipeline before your other Octopus steps, or to install octo locally on the agent and add it to the agent as a capability within ADO.

The former has a bit more flexibility in that no matter which agent does the task it should work and you can have way more control over the version of octo being used, but it does require editing your pipelines.

Please let me know if that helps or if you have any questions.

Best,
Jeremy

This step?

Blake

Hey Blake,

Yep, that’s the one!

You would need to put that before your other Octopus Steps and define whichever version you’d like.

If you look at the tooltip you have a bunch of options available to you on granularity. You can define a specific version, use latest, or more as shown in the tooltip:

Specify version of OctopusCLI to install.
Versions can be given in the following formats

* `8.*` => Install latest in major version.
* `7.3.*` => Install latest in major and minor version.
* `8.0.1` => Install exact version.
* `*` => Install whatever is latest.

Please let me know if that helps or if you have any questions.

Best,
Jeremy

Thanks much!!

2 Likes

You’re very welcome!

We’re here if you run into any other snags in the future. I hope you have a great weekend.

Best,
Jeremy

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.