Error in registering Octopus tentacles with Customized Windows AMI

Hi ,

I was trying to installing the Octopus server on multiple instances which uses a single customized AMI for all the 5 windows machines and i’m ended up with installing octopus server on one machine and the rest of the 4 machines with error " Registering the tentacle with the server at http://xxxxx/
1 FATAL A machine named ‘WIN-1CO1885xxxx’ already exists in the environment. Use the ‘force’ parameter if you intended to update the existing machine.
2018-04-11 18:34:41.6839 1 INFO Service installed". Can someone help me out and i’m trying to install octopus through automation with powershell scripts for multiple windows Ec2 instances.

Thanks!

Hi,
Thanks for getting in touch! I’m sorry to hear you are seeing duplicate machine names when registering your Tentacles against an Octopus server.

Based on the machine name WIN-1CO1885xxxx, it indicates that each of your machines may have the same Windows SID. One option to ensure that each machine gets a fresh Windows SID and Computer Name could be to sysprep (with /generalize) your source VM before taking the AMI.

Please feel free to check out the AWS documentation Configuring a Windows Instance Using EC2Launch

Alternatively, If you are unable to perform the Sysprep one other option could be to change the hostname prior to installing the Tentacle and then register it with the server. I believe the recommended option in this case would be to sysprep the source VM though.

I look forward to hearing from you if you have any other questions.

Kind regards,
Lawrence.

Thanks Lawrence .It worked !