Error enabling tentacle using ARM Template

After upgrading Octopus Server (from 2019.9.3 to 2020.1.10) we’ve started facing issues with tentacle installation via Azure ARM Template. During ARM Template deployment we’re getting error: The OctopusServerUrl ‘https://sm-octopus.***.com’ did not point to a valid Octopus server.
Below please find log from tentacle host attached. During upgrade neither server url nor network configuration was changed.
What does it mean that some url does not point to a valid Octopus server? Is there any solution or recommended workaround?

Best regards,
Piotr

Log:
2020-04-15 07:02:25 [Information] Executing command handler “Enabling Tentacle”
2020-04-15 07:02:25 [Information] Executing ‘enable’ command as previous sequence number -1 is different to the new sequence number 0.
2020-04-15 07:02:25 [Information] Running step “Validating provided configuration.”.
2020-04-15 07:02:25 [Verbose] Writing status file to “C:\Packages\Plugins\OctopusDeploy.Tentacle.OctopusDeployWindowsTentacle\2.0.164\Status\0.status”
2020-04-15 07:02:25 [Error] Command “Validating provided configuration.” failed with exception.
AzureVMExtension.Commands.ConfigurationValidationException: The OctopusServerUrl ‘https://sm-octopus.***.com’ did not point to a valid Octopus server.
at AzureVMExtension.Commands.ValidateConfigurationCommand.ThrowError(String errorMessage) in Z:\buildAgent\workDir\8d5946312b69ad91\src\AzureVMExtension\Commands\ValidateConfigurationCommand.cs:line 212
at AzureVMExtension.Commands.ValidateConfigurationCommand.Execute() in Z:\buildAgent\workDir\8d5946312b69ad91\src\AzureVMExtension\Commands\ValidateConfigurationCommand.cs:line 44
at AzureVMExtension.Program.Execute(String[] args) in Z:\buildAgent\workDir\8d5946312b69ad91\src\AzureVMExtension\Program.cs:line 100
2020-04-15 07:02:25 [Verbose] Writing status file to “C:\Packages\Plugins\OctopusDeploy.Tentacle.OctopusDeployWindowsTentacle\2.0.164\Status\0.status”
2020-04-15 07:02:25 [Information] Final status of command handler “Enabling Tentacle” is Error, “Enabling Tentacle failed. The OctopusServerUrl ‘https://sm-octopus.***.com’ did not point to a valid Octopus server.”
2020-04-15 07:02:26 [Verbose] Writing status file to “C:\Packages\Plugins\OctopusDeploy.Tentacle.OctopusDeployWindowsTentacle\2.0.164\Status\0.status”
2020-04-15 07:02:26 [Verbose] Setting data store value “LastAction” to “enable”
2020-04-15 07:02:26 [Verbose] Setting data store value “LastActionState” to “completed”
2020-04-15 07:02:26 [Verbose] Setting data store value “LastSequenceNumber” to “0”
2020-04-15 07:02:26 [Verbose] Setting data store value “HandlerVersion” to “2.0.164.0”
2020-04-15 07:02:26 [Verbose] Setting data store value “LastRunTime” to “2020-04-15t07:02:26.0298985+00:00”

3 Likes

Hi Piotr,

Thanks for getting in touch! I’m very sorry to hear you’re hitting this issue. I’ve seen this error reported just recently but we haven’t yet been able to identify where the issue is. Would you be willing to supply the full ARM Template you’re using, and also the log file to get the full context around this?

I don’t reckon it will come down to a configuration issue, but just to rule those out can you confirm the following details?
Is the URL publicly accessible?
Has there been any change to the subscription’s access control?
Could you also confirm that you have the appropriate outbound rules in place? I would imagine in this case you would need port 443 and port 10943.

You can either email this information privately to support@octopus.com or mark this thread as private. :slight_smile:

I look forward to hearing back!

Best regards,

Kenny

Hi Kenneth,

Thanks for the reply. I’ve sent an email to support@octopus.com with an ARM Template we’re using, because I feel like someone may make use of this thread later on :wink:
Answering your questions:

1. Is the URL publicly accessible? Yes it is.
  2. Has there been any change to the subscription’s access control? Nope, still having a contributor role there
  3. Could you also confirm that you have the appropriate outbound rules in place? Both 443 and 10943 are accessible

Also, we’ve noticed that using powershell script to install and setup Octopus Tentacle works fine.
Currently our deployments support 2 different Azure subscriptions:

• First, let’s call it “normal one” with the failing deployments (we have contributor permissions here)
  • Second, with the restrictions. We’re only deploying vms inside DevTestLab – that’s why we can’t use vm extensions. Instead we’re using Custom Script to install Octopus Tentacle and that’s working as it used to be :slight_smile:

I hope this info help a little solving the issue. If you need any more detail, please let me know.

Best regards,
Piotr

Hi Piotr,

Thanks for keeping in touch and confirming those details. I’ve responded to your email to let you know we’ve escalated this issue to the engineers here. One additional question was whether or not you’re creating this Tentacle in a non-default Space. We’ll keep in touch as we progress through our investigation. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

I’m creating tentacles in default space (I have only one space configured) however it has changed name from the default one.

3 Likes

I am also experiencing the same issue described here. Any solution for this? This is highly problematic in an environment where tentacles can’t be installed manually.

Thank you

Hi Piotr and @jmh,

I’m sorry to hear you’re also hitting this issue @jhm, and my apologies about the delay here. We have had a fix ready to go for about a week now, we are just stuck in release hell as we hadn’t shipped anything in this space (new Azure VM extension) for about a year and everything has changed. We are making progress and are hoping that this will be out the door by the end of the week.

If there’s anything else we can assist with, please don’t hesitate to reach out!

Best regards,

Kenny

That’s great news. I’ll be anxiously awaiting the fix. Thank you!

1 Like

:wave: Any updates on this fix?

Hi @jmh,

Thank you for keeping in touch!. I just had a chat with my team and can confirm it’s very close and should be made available in the next day or two. I’m sorry it’s taking a bit longer than we anticipated, and I appreciate your patience!

Best regards,

Kenny

1 Like

Hi @jmh

​Good news - version 2.0.207 of the extension has been published, and I’ve been able to spin up a VM that connects successfully to a server I found that we were unable to connect to previously.

​Give that a go, and let us know how you get along.

​Apologies that this has taken so long to resolve.

​Regards,
​Matt