Error copying files to "Applications Directory"

Hello,

As noted here, http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/problems/38936-overriding-drop-folder-path, we have just started using Octopus Server Offline Deployments, and we are finishing a couple issues.

The second issue that we are seeing is with regard to copying the files into the “Applications Directory”. Once we start the installation using the cmd command, and enter the password for decryptying the sensitive information, the installation progresses, and it looks like it is working, and then, all of a sudden, we start seeing errors about unable to copy files into directory, as it is being used by another process.

If I terminate the installation, and run it again, it seems to get further through the process, i.e. onto the next step, but then it fails with the same error. If I keep going like that, the application eventually gets fully installed, however, in the “Applications Directory” I then have multiple folders, namely 0.4.0, 0.4.0_1, 0.4.0_2, 0.4.0_3, etc. This is not a “huge” deal, but it is rather untidy.

I was trying to show a colleague how easy it was to deploy onto a remote server using Calamari, and ended up having to attempt the installation 6 times, before it would eventually work.

I honestly can’t see what would/should be using the files that are being copied, as nothing should be, until the Web Application, Windows Service, gets started up.

I have ruled out any anti-virus/malware applications grabbing the files for scanning purposes, as I have turned them all off temporarily.

Any ideas where to look next?

Thanks

Gary

Hi Gary,

A couple of questions:

What version of Octopus Deploy are you currently using?

Could you possibly send through the complete output from a failing task?

Regards,
Michael

Hello,

I am currently using 3.0.22, but will be upgrading to 3.0.24 as noted in this issue:

http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/problems/38936-overriding-drop-folder-path

As mentioned in the above I am doing an offline deployment, so I don’t see how I can use the suggestion in the linked article, and I don’t see anywhere obvious that the log files are created during an offline deployment. If you can point me in the direction of the log files, I should be able to forward them onto you.

Thanks

Gary

Gary,

I apologize. Of course, being an offline deployment the error won’t be in the task log.

Are you able to redirect the batch command output into a file? e.g.

AcmeProductionDrop.Acme.Web.Deployments-1.cmd > log.txt

Also, it may be worth trying the Process Explorer tool? It is often useful in determining which process has a file locked.

I am just coming back around to giving this a try, but this issue is currently blocking me:

http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/problems/39809-octopus-offline-deployment-failed-with-powershell-parseexception-missing-the-terminator

Any ideas?

Thanks

Gary

I am no longer seeing this issue when using the latest version of Octopus, so happy to close this.

Thanks

Gary