Error Communicating with Octopus Server

Intermittently, I am encountering the following error connecting to the on premise Octopus Server, and the server response is very slow:
An unexpected error occurred in Octopus v2020.5.5: There was a problem with your request.

Unable to establish a connection to the Octopus Deploy server. The server may be offline. Please check your network connection.

Hi marc_gauthier,

Thank you for reaching out to us with your query.

This message is shown when communication between a client and the Octopus Server is interrupted. The cause of this can vary wildly and can range from network connectivity issues through to issues on the client and/or server.

To get the investigation started can you please advise on the following?

• Are there any known network issues?
  • Have any changes been made since the issue started (e.g. firewall or proxy changes)?
  • Do other clients have the same issue? If so, do they have the same issue at the same time?
  • Can you ping the Octopus Server from the client when this error is shown?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

Charles

Hi Charles,

As for network issues, that was the first thing I looked into, and there are reported network issues. Me and a colleague of mine are both admins within Octopus Deploy, and we are encountering the same error.

There have been no changes to the Octopus Servers or the SQL databases.

As far as other users, nobody other than Steve and I are having this issue, and it happens on both Octopus Deploy servers on premise in our Corporate office.

When I receive the error, I am able to successfully ping the Octopus Server.

This is a weird issue, other than typical users don’t have the same permissions as I, and they are not noticing any issues.

Regards,
Marc

Hi Marc,

Thank you for getting back to me.

The error shown only occurs if the web frontend cannot connect to the server. It is unusual for it to affect some types of Octopus user and not others. Can you please therefore check and confirm if the other users are still able to access the Octopus Server at the same time as you receive the error message?

We’ve seen this issue before when anti-virus software has incorrectly classed the Octopus Server and/or the web frontend as malicious. Can you please check and confirm if your anti-virus software has logged anything which might suggest this is the case? If not, would it be possible to try disabling it under controlled circumstances and confirming if the issue persists?

It might also be worth upgrading to a newer version of Octopus Deploy. There have been many stability improvements made recently which could help with this sort of issue. Can you please advise if that is a possibility?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

Charles

Hi Charles,

Sorry for the delay. After further testing, it has been determined to be an issue with using Edge and Chrome browsers, and I did the resets and reinstalled of both with the same issue. Did the same test on another workstation, and I didn’t have any issues accessing the Octopus portals. I tested using Firefox on my workstation, and I am not experiencing any issues accessing the Octopus portal servers.

As for upgrading, we are in the process of planning the upgrade to the latest Octopus Deploy version.

Thanks you for your responses.

Marc

Hi Marc,

Thank you for getting back to me.

Modern versions of Chrome and Edge are both supported browsers for Octopus Deploy and we’re not aware of any issues which would cause this to happen. In similar situations browser specific issues have tended to be caused by plugins, extensions and/or security software.

Can you please advise if the issue persists if all plugins and extensions are disabled and likewise does the issue persist if you disable any anti-virus software (under controlled conditions)?

Best Regards,

Charles

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.