Error after installation of Tentacle (1.0.13.1206)

Getting the following error after Tentacle installation (1.0.13.1206).

Octopus

Could not start Octopus tools: An exception was thrown while invoking the constructor ‘Void .ctor(Octopus.Shared.Security.ICertificateGenerator, Octopus.Shared.Configuration.ITentacleConfiguration)’ on type ‘SecurityTab’.

OK

Installed on a Windows 2008 server with .NET 4.0 and IIS role on it. The computer is not connected to an AD.

Any ideas what causes the error?

Regards,
Tim

Hi Tim,

Sorry for the late reply, were you able to work around this?

Could you check the event log to see whether there are any extra details? Are you opening the tools as an elevated Administrator user?

Paul

I’m running into the exact same issue in 1.0.30.1340 (only on certain machines). Nothing additional in event viewer, and these machines are up to date (2008 R2, 64bit, etc)

Hi John,

After logging on to the remote machine, can you check that your profile is a local profile and not a temporary profile? The easiest way to do this is to check the value of %AppData%

echo %appdata%
C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Roaming

If the path you get back uses some kind of temp folder (i.e., a temporary profile) this will prevent the certificates from being loaded.

Paul

Thanks for getting back with me, that was the problem :). I appreciate the help.

Thanks John!

Temporary profiles are a bit nebulous, and I’m not sure what causes them. Do you have any ideas as to why it happened? Is it part of your group policy for example?

Paul

No, I had actually left my company a few months ago, and when they terminated my access, they deleted my profile store on some servers. By doing this, when I re-joined the company, and logged into the machine, it created a temporary profile. Had to remove my SID from the machine’s registry to solve the issue, which then recreated the folder upon login :).

Hi Paul,

I am seeing the same issue post install but I’m not on a temporary profile.

I am trying to install version 1.3.0.1535 and there is no further detail in the Event Log.

Thanks

Hi Tim,

Is your Octopus/Tentacle service running under the Local System account or some other account?

Paul

Hi Paul,

Our account had corrupted so we removed and created a new one. Problem now resolved. Sorry for re-opening a closed issue.

Thanks