Error about at least one enabled healthy machine to deploy to in the environment

We have a single project, with multiple steps for the deployment process.
Step 1 Does some work on a VM.
Steps 2-6 deploy to Azure Websites using your latest suggestion for deploying azure sites, so technically we don’t need to have Machines added to an Environment.

Steps 7-8 Deploy to a few other VM’s.

I just added a new environment, QA.

I set QA as an allowed environment for steps 2-6

But deploying gives use this error

[23:41:27][Octopus Deploy] Handshake successful. Octopus version: 3.1.4; API version: 3.0.0
[23:41:27][Octopus Deploy] Finding project: FL
[23:41:27][Octopus Deploy] Finding release: 1.0.52-qa-test-0c3bb71
[23:41:27][Octopus Deploy] Error from Octopus server (HTTP 400): There was a problem with your request.
[23:41:27][Octopus Deploy] 
[23:41:27][Octopus Deploy]  - There must be at least one enabled healthy machine to deploy to in the environment
[23:41:27][Octopus Deploy] Once you have corrected these problems you can try again.
[23:41:27][Octopus Deploy] If the problem is related to a variable you will need to update the variables for this release or recreate the release for the changes to take effect.
[23:41:27][Octopus Deploy] If the problem is related to the deployment process you will need to create a new release for the changes to take effect.
[23:41:27][Octopus Deploy] 
[23:41:27][Octopus Deploy] Exit code: -7

We are deploying from TeamCity to Octopus.

The Release is created successfully.
But the Deploy fails with the above error.

However we can just login to Octopus and click Deploy to QA and everything works just fine.

It seems that perhaps there is some validation going on, that doesn’t quite fit.

For QA we only need steps 2-6 to run.

Is there something else that needs to be configured?

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out.

We fixed something very similar to this back in 3.1.1 (see github issue). You seem to be running a higher version though (3.1.4), so I’m wondering if our fix is not contemplating a scenario like yours.

Could you please send us a detailed guide on how to reproduce this issue step by step? Try to send as many screenshots as possible.

Best regards,
Dalmiro

Also please send us your full deployment log.
http://docs.octopusdeploy.com/display/OD/Get+the+raw+output+from+a+task

To get around this for now, I created a separate project. As we had to move forward.

If we get back in, i’ll update this post.

You can close this for now.