Environment Setup Recommendation

I work for an agency whereby we are currently doing manual deployments on an ad-hoc basis when we work on client projects. We maintain a great many application (website) instances representing Test, Staging and Production/

We are currently evaluating a few tools for our CI process and am testing out Octopus for deployments. In our situation whereby we need dedicated environments per project, is this currently possible?

I.e., if I have Client A, we have a Dev, Test, UAT and Production environment for them, and for Client B, we have the same setup, but different physical (or virtual targets). Is it possible on a per-project basis to configure which environments are candidates? From what I have currently seen, it seems that Environments apply to all projects? How can I restrict a deployment target to a specific project or set of projects?

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for getting in touch! I think the part of this scenario that you are missing is Roles. Roles on machines mean that a single environment can have many machines but each scoped to different projects and steps by using unique roles. Here is our corresponding documentation page: http://docs.octopusdeploy.com/display/OD/Machine+Roles

Let me know if there is any information here I can expand upon.

Hope that helps!
Vanessa

Hi Vanessa,

Roles have their purpose in defining the type of target you want to deploy to, but it wouldn’t stop a misconfiguration whereby someone has set the wrong role on a customer project and it deploys to another customer’s deployment target. What I’d like from Octopus is to have enforce certain deployment targets can only be used with certain projects, Currently because of the tag-based approach to configuration, there is no way of enforcing this.

I’ve given my feedback on the Multitenancy RFC post (https://octopus.com/blog/rfc-multitenancy#disqus_thread) which I hope gives food for thought.

Hi Matthew,

All feedback on the RFC posts are considered and discussed. We like to understand how our design intentions will effect customers and that we are solving the right problems.

Thanks for your feedback :slight_smile:
Vanessa