Enable tentacles as part of deployment

I would like to have a deployment process whereby the first step would run on the Octopus server and “enable” my tentacles using a step template based on the script here:-

I have setup my tentacles as all disabled, then setup my deployment process with the enable tentacle step at the beginning, but when I click on deploy I get

"There must be at least one enabled healthy machine to deploy to in the environment "

How do I automate the enabling and then the disabling post install.

Appreciate any pointers

Hi Ben,

Thanks for getting in touch! I suspect your Tentacles aren’t being considered healthy in time for the deployment to them. If you add a health check step in your deployment process, after the step that enables the Tentacles, that should do the trick. :slight_smile:

A similar process has been outlined in our immutable infrastructure documentation as well.

If instead you’re trying to initiate the deployment when no Tentacles are available, you can configure your project to allow this by selecting the Deployment Target settings option in your project’s Process tab. You can then check Allow deployments to be created when there are no deployment targets as shown in my attached screenshot.

Let me know how you go and if you have any further questions!

Kind regards,

Kenny

Hi,

This setting appears only in our 3.13.7 installation, it doesn’t appear in our 3.7.10 or 3.5.2 server installations, do you know when it first appeared?

Hi Ben,

Thanks for following up. I apologize about not mentioning that fact! This setting was added in Octopus 3.8.7, and you can refer to the relevant GitHub issue here:

We also have a cool version comparison tool, where you can see all of the release notes and breaking changes between the versions if you’re interested. :slight_smile:

Don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,

Kenny