Dynamic Input field during octopus deploy step

How to popup a field for user input dynamically during deploy step for an octopus project? For example, depending on user input, the deployment should happen. I do not want to define a variable in each project which has the user prompt value field. I would like have this feature without defining a dynamic field value in each octopus project as it should be applicable for all octopus deploy projects

Thanks,
Gurushankar

Hi Gurushankar,

The only other option I can think of to require input to decide whether a deployment should happen is to configure a manual intervention step in any projects that require it. You can configure it to only allow specific users to approve or abort the deployment, but the downside is you would need to configure this on each project individually, so it may not be ideal. More info on this step can be found in our documentation.

Another potential option would be to build up a permissions structure which would allow you to control who has the ability to create a deployment. The specific permission in question is DeploymentCreate. You can refer to our doc page on managing users and teams if this approach would help. :slight_smile:

I hope this helps! Don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions going forward.

Kind regards,

Kenny

Hi,

I would clarify if further. I wanted to have the capability of adding a field value in all projects without adding a field in each project. This should be available even for any newly added octopus projects (kind of inheritance through a template or something). Please update me what you think of. Thanks again for your prompt support

Regards,
Gurushankar

Hi Gurushankar,

Thank you for following up. Unfortunately there’s no built-in option when creating projects to require input during deployments of that project. I think the closest option would be to add a prompted variable into a library variable set, or create a custom manual intervention step template, where either of those can then be included into multiple projects without having to configure them from scratch each time. But then you would need to remember to include it into the project when you first create the project.

This may be a great idea to suggest up on our UserVoice site! This is the main avenue we consult when considering new features/enhancements like this based on community support.

https://octopusdeploy.uservoice.com/

I’m sorry it’s not better news! Don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions or concerns going forward. :slight_smile:

Kind regards,

Kenny

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.