Dynamic deployment Target Roles

Dear Team,

I am using Octopus v 4.1.9, using for some .net + SQL server deployments.
I am trying to do some DB only deployments using flyway migrate. I have about 10 applications ( different DB for each), so I have created just 1 project with below settings.

• Setup channel to select the application during Create Release timing.

My problem is the Target role during process is mandatory & I am not able to select it during Create release ( other than customize option !). It neither provides a variable.

So how do I make deployment Target role dynamic, make it select during Create release or link it to Channels.

Hi @nihoindian,

Thanks for getting in touch!

The target role is a fixed concept and it isn’t possible to use it in a dynamic or variable fashion.
Typically we would recommend that each application is assigned to a separate project, doing this would mean that you’d have 10 projects to manage, but would allow much easier customisation of those projects and processes where needed.

Another possible option would be to assign the targets of each application a unique target role and then create separate process steps for each of these applications within the same project, and then scope each step to a specific channel.

e.g.

I hope this helps point you in the right direction, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best regards,
Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the quick response. I got it, thanks.

Regards.

1 Like