Download package to Octopus server

We want to use the community AWS lambda step template and run it with Octopus server. How do we get a package downloaded to the Octopus server? Transfer package only goes out to deployment targets.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for getting in touch! Are you wanting to push your package to the Octopus built-in repository? You can deploy packages that exist in this repository to your deployment targets. To push them to the built-in repository, this can be done via Octo.exe’s push command as outlined in our documentation, or upload them in the UI under Library > Packages.

If you’re wanting to deploy it to the same server that runs the Octopus server, you can also install Tentacle to this server.

I may be misunderstanding what you’re after, so please feel free to expand or correct me if so. :slight_smile:

I look forward to hearing back!

Best regards,

Kenny

We’ve already uploaded the package to the built-in repository. I’m just looking to figure out how to deploy that package to AWS Lambda. With Service Fabric, for example, the step runs on the Octopus server because there is no deployment target. It takes a package and deploys it to the cluster without a tentacle. Since Octopus doesn’t really have built-in AWS support (as far as I know), we need to do the same thing, get a package and deploy it to Lambda. The closest thing I can get to this workflow is using the Run a Script step, which allows a script from a package to be run on the Octopus server. Is there a better way to do that kind of thing, deploy to something that doesn’t have a tentacle using some kind of worker like the Octopus server?

Hi Chris,

Thanks for following up, and I’m terribly sorry about the delay in getting back to you. There are a couple of options to deploy the package to AWS Lambda which I’ll outline below (which includes some built-in AWS support that we’ve been recently working on).

1. Package both the Lambda application and the AWS script together into a single package. You can then use the Run an AWS CLI Script command. If this step is configured to run a script from a package, it will download the package, extract it, then run the script.

2. You could use the new Upload a package to an AWS S3 bucket step (introduced in version 2018.4) to upload the Lambda package to S3, then use the Run an AWS CLI Script step to deploy a Lambda that references the file in S3.

Would one of those options work for your requirements? Let me know what you think or if you have any questions or concerns going forward. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

Yes, I think those are some good options to work with. Thanks, for you help.

Hi Chris,

That sounds great! You’re very welcome. Don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions going forward. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.