Does Lets Encrypt auto renewal drain all running tasks?

Hi we are trying to use the Lets Encrypt Auto Renewal for our production octopus server. When we configured it for the first time, it seems putting our server into draining/maintenance mode, but then the server seems restarted straight after, leaving all currently running tasks as cancelled. I’m a bit concerned about this behavior as I would assume it should at least wait for all running tasks to finish (drain them out) before restarting the server. Do you have any suggestion on this? Or is the first time configuration different to the renewal process? Thanks.

Hi,

Thanks for getting in touch! Great question, and my apologies for the unexpected behavior you’re experiencing. I can certainly understand the concern it’s causing you.

As far as I’m aware, the only times the server should be restarted is when the cert is renewed, or when specifying a port that the Octopus server is not currently listening on. This should not be causing tasks to be cancelled while it’s draining.

Could I ask which version of Octopus you’re currently running? We did hit some possibly relevant issues around Let’s Encrypt tasks not completing (fixed in 2022.1 and here’s the issue for reference). If you’re on an old version, it’d be worth upgrading to see if that can be ruled out, if that’s a possibility.

In addition to that, would you be willing to send your server logs (C:\Octopus\Logs in standard installs)? Feel free to email them to us at support@octopus.com if you prefer.

I look forward to hearing back!

Best regards,

Kenny

We are using 2022.2 Build 7580.

I will attach the server task log using a different email address jun.zhu@zapbi.com. However the logs file in C:\Octopus\Logs only back traced to 20th Jan due to retention policy so I couldn’t find the logs around the time when Lets Encrypt was configured.

Regards,

Jun

Hi Jun,

Thank you for following up and sending over the log file. I can confirm I’ve received them via your sent email and will dig into this issue. I’ll let you know anything I find, and don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions or concerns in the meantime. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

Hi Jun,

Thank you for your patience. I was able to reproduce this issue with the tasks being cancelled instead of waiting for completion while in maintenance mode after configuring Let’s Encrypt. You can track the progress of this bug at the following link.

I appreciate your report and help in troubleshooting this one. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns going forward!

Best regards,

Kenny

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.