Documentation for "Deploy an Azure Web App" is incomplete

Following the instructions for the “Deploy an Azure Web App” step does not result in a working deployment.

When creating a release the following warnings are encountered:

“Warning: there are no enabled deployment targets in the roles specified by this step, in this environment.”

Please see attached screen shot.

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Regarding your “Deploy an Azure Web App” step, can you please confirm whether you selected any roles in the “On behalf of target roles” field at the top of the step? If so, do you have Cloud Regions setup that are using those roles?

If not, you will need to either use Cloud Regions with the roles you are targeting (if you are attempting to deploy your Azure Web App to multiple geographic regions), or remove these roles (otherwise Octopus will warn you if it is unable to find any deployment targets for the roles you have selected).

If this doesn’t appear to be the problem, can you please include a screenshot of your Azure Web App step and let us know which version of Octopus you are running and we’ll investigate further.

Let me know how you go.

Cheers
Mark

Hi Mark,

I had a “Web” role in the “On behalf of target roles” for the Azure Deployment step.

Adding a “Cloud Region” into the Azure environment allowed execution of the deployment step.

May I suggest that the documentation be updated to reference the need for an active target if a Role is present.

Thanks,

Hi Jeremy,

We’re considering adding some information to the UI as well, to make this more clear when using this step type. We’ve created a GitHub issue here to address this.

Cheers
Mark