Do not run step if package version rule does not match

Hi,

I have a process which consists of a number (10+) of deployment steps. Each deployment step uses a different package.
Is it possible for me to create a release where not all packages exist, because of version rules?
I want to create a release for e.g 3.0 where only 5 of my 10 packages are bumped to the 3.0 version. I create a channel for my project for the 3.0 release and set the version rule to (3.0, 4.0]. This means i want to skip entirely running the steps which have a package that has not been bumped to 3.0. I would love to avoid re-deploying those steps with the old (2.0) version just because they have to run. Is there a way to do this somehow?

Kind regards,
Nikolai

Update: I have realized i can achieve this by manually editing all steps in the process and changing the “Channels” conditions for each step. So, for the steps where i do not have a package for this specific release, i can add all other channels, and this step will not be run for the specific release.
I don’t feel this is a reasonable approach, as this means that i have to edit my entire process for each release i want to do. Still hoping there is another way to achieve it.

Kind regards,
Nikolai

Hi Nikolai,

Thanks for getting in touch! It looks like you could use a variable for the run condition here. You would be able to create a variable in your project and have your steps run on a condition of that variable.

We have some extensive documentation on the different methods of doing this.

If you have any questions here or run into any issues, please feel free to get in touch, I would be happy to help. :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Daniel