Do I need to create a new release when substituting a step in a deployment?

I have a release 1.0.0.254 that contains IIS site bindings in step 9. Step 9 is derived from a step template. I realized that most of the bindings were incorrect, so I disabled step 9 and added a new step 10 from a different step template with the correct IIS bindings.

My question is, can I re-run 1.0.0.254 and expect the changes from the new step 10 to apply, or do I need to create a new release?

Good afternoon @womackn,

Thank you for contacting Octopus Deploy and welcome back to the forums, the short answer here is yes, you will need to create a new release if you have changed any values within any steps in a project or added any steps. The longer answer can be found in our documentation for releases:

A release is a snapshot of the deployment process and the associated assets that existed when the release was created. These assets include scripts, any references to package versions, and variables (excluding tenant variables). A version number is assigned to a release. Releases can be deployed as often as necessary, even if the deployment process has since been changed for newer releases.

When you deploy a release, you are executing the deployment process with all the associated details as they existed when the release was created.

I hope that helps, let me know if you need further clarification on this and I will be happy to answer any additional questions.

Kind Regards,

Clare

Thank you for the quick answer!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.