Diagram of Octopus Separation Opportunities

Is there a diagram created that outlines each level of potential separation of machines/roles/projects along with variables for the specific areas?

Basically a flowchart of sorts that takes it down to the octopus level after CI or other pre-deployment activities.

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for getting in touch! sorry to say there is no such feature in Octopus. The most we have is the snapshot of variables on the release page, but it is not graphical.
Coming in 3.0 is a variable tab that shows the variables used during the deployment, but again that is post and not pre.
I also did a search through UserVoice and couldn’t find any similar suggestions. There is one concept of a dry-run to show what variables would be used.

I suggest creating UV suggestion with a bit more detail to see if it would get any community support. http://octopusdeploy.uservoice.com/

Thanks.
Vanessa

I apologize. I may not have been clear. I am not requesting a feature as much as an existing documentation item or whitepaper of some sort.

-Anthony

This is what I was talking about. It may be a bit rough but it shows the correlations.

-Anthony

Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2015 9:30 AM
To: ‘Vanessa Love’
Subject: RE: Diagram of Octopus Separation Opportunities [Questions #4576]

I apologize. I may not have been clear. I am not requesting a feature as much as an existing documentation item or whitepaper of some sort.

-Anthony

Hi Anthony,

We do not have anything like that. We have parts of it, but not an overall picture.
I think your image is a little linear. The concept of a release is a snapshot of process (steps), variables (both project and set), packages, script modules, step templates.
Then deployments are subsets of those in a deployment pipeline (lifecycle) that for each deployment anything environmental and role based is deployed. So while a release is from a project - its defined by the process and variables. You can also release to many Tentacles all with the same roles or multiple roles.
So part of that is defined on the final image of this page: http://docs.octopusdeploy.com/display/OD/Key+Concepts

Vanessa