Deploys to 3 out of the 4 targets without a problem

Octopus version: 2019.12.0
Hi All,
I realize I’m using a very old version, but going live in a few days and need to be able to push to production. The package is sent however its not extracted on this one deployment target. This target was previously deployed to on 12/7 so I don’t know what could have happened to the server to make it not extract the new version.
There is no error in the log, unable to download the raw log to send it.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mary

Hi Mary,

Thanks for reaching out, and welcome to the Octopus Deploy community forum! I’m sorry to hear you are having trouble with this deployment process, but I’d be happy to help take a closer look.

As a first step in troubleshooting this further, would you be able to copy and paste the log file contents from the 12/7 deployment and a log from now into a text file and send this over for review? Here is a secure link where you can upload this content.

You might also be able to force the download of these log files by refreshing the page after clicking the download button, but if not the copy/paste of the log contents will also work.

Also, you should be able to review the audit log within your instance to ensure that no changes have been made to your deployment project/process since 12/7 (Configuration > Audit within the Octopus Deploy server UI):

I hope this helps, but looking forward to hearing back from you!

Britton

I just uploaded the log from 12/7.
Audit log didn’t show any changes.

Britton,
Thanks so much for the reply. I just uploaded the log, the one from today doesn’t have much in it, but I can upload as well if you think it will help.
Thanks,
Mary

Hi Mary,

Thank you for the updates!

Yes, if you could also upload a log from today that would be a good comparison point to the 12/7 log.

I will start to look through the log you just uploaded, but let me know when you upload the other log file, and I will dive deeper into this (unfortunately we don’t receive notifications on file uploads).

Best,

Britton

Britton,
I just uploaded the log from today.
The package does download to the designated location, I have verified that, however the extraction is not happening. I have been working on this for a few days and enabled the guided failure option and download new package option to help with debugging.

Thanks,
Mary

Hi Mary,

I see what you mean by that log file, there isn’t much information there - in my comparison it looks like Calamari begins the deployment process, but there isn’t much helpful output beyond that.

As a next step, could you upload your process JSON for this deployment process so I can compare this against the logs to see if anything sticks out? You should be able to get this by clicking the three little dots at the top of your deployment process:

You can upload this to the same secure link I provided earlier, but let me know if you have any trouble.

Best,

Britton

Britton,
I uploaded the json file.

Thanks
Mary

Hi Mary,

Thank you for the update.

As a clarification, can you let me know if the target you are having issues with is *-EXT or *-INT? I just noticed the following line in the log from today, so I wanted to confirm:

11:51:15 Info | These deployment targets were specifically excluded from the deployment: *-INT

In taking a look, your deployment process looks good from what I am seeing, so it’s strange that you’re experiencing this behavior.

As a next step, can you let me know if this deployment target (if *-EXT is the issue) has been restarted recently? I’m curious if a restart will change anything, as Calamari seems to start and nothing else really happens. Let me know if you can test restarting the target and trying the deployment again, and also upload this log content to the same secure link I provided earlier.

With this impacting only one target, something else you might try is to completely remove the Tentacle service from this deployment target and do a fresh install, to see if this changes the behavior at all.

One other thing that might be coming into play here is antivirus/anti-malware software (if applicable), which could be impacting the execution scripts being run by Octopus Deploy. I’ll link our documentation on AV whitelisting, but let me know if you have any other questions.

I hope this additional information helps,

Britton

Hi Britton,
The -EXT is the one giving the issue.
I restarted the deployment target yesterday, with no success.
I have been trying to install a new tentacle but I got the invalid certificate error, and it happens from any of my tentacles so I abandoned that for right now.

I started going through each deployment target to see if the settings were the same. In the connectivity tab for the problem server, the Tentacle Current version was 0.0.0, so I clicked on the Unlock version and it upgraded the version number on the screen to 5.0.9. I redeployed and it worked! This was the first server we created, so it makes sense that it had an old version.

Thanks so much for your help,
Mary

Hi Mary,

Excellent, I’m glad you were able to get things sorted! :partying_face:

Also, I’ve had issues with the certificate value in the past too - typically you can resolve this by walking through the full uninstallation document I linked earlier, as this clears everything from a Tentacle configuration perspective.

It sounds like things are all set now, but feel free to reach back out if you need any more help.

I hope you have a good rest of your week and happy deployments,

Britton

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.