Deployment to QA machine fails all of a sudden

2017-06-29 13:55:11 DEBUG [PreDeploy Script] Script: C:\Octopus\Applications\QA\DataCityHarvesterLinearFranchises\1.3.25_4\PreDeploy.ps1
2017-06-29 13:55:11 ERROR System.Exception: Error when attempting to execute powershell.exe: The system cannot find the file specified —> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The system cannot find the file specified
at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithCreateProcess(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
at Octopus.Shared.Util.SilentProcessRunner.ExecuteCommand(String executable, String arguments, String workingDirectory, Action1 output, Action1 error) in c:\w\e6923628be6eaf72\source\Octopus.Shared\Util\SilentProcessRunner.cs:line 52
— End of inner exception stack trace —

This file exists in the folder and it all used to work before. Now, all of a sudden, I get this message when I try to deploy anything to QA server

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out! All the processes in the Tentacles are executed through the Tentacle service. Meaning the account running that service must have access to all the directories needed during the deployment.

If this used to work and it suddenly stopped, my guess is that the permissions on the Tentacle service account changed, and it is no longer able to read certain directories like C:\Octopus\Applications\*

The best way to test this out would be to log into the machine as an administrator, temporarily change the Tentacle service account to run as an admin account (not Local Service or any other built-in account), then run a few deployments with it.

If after that change you no longer get an error, you’ll know you are on the right track and you can start working on the previous account’s permissions.

Regards,
Dalmiro