Deployment tentant not selected automatically

When you do the following steps:

• Click on a tentant project

• Click on the release of a tenant in an environment:

• Click on Deploy to Live (not possible in demo env because it’s not the latest version!)

• Tentants is empty while it should have the value of the selected tenant filled in.

I believe this was working before in the old interface.

This is bitten us a few time because we deploy on a tenant base and accidentally ALL tenants started to deploy because there was no tenant selected. For us could be catastrophic.

Hi,

Thanks for getting in touch! I can understand how this behavior may not be ideal. When testing this out in the old portal, it looks like the behavior is the same in both portals. You can access the old portal at OctoURL/oldportal (as opposed to OctoURL/app) which is what I’ve done. Do you see any difference in behavior when trying it out there?

Additionally, when clicking on a release in a tenant’s row in the overview page, I’m unable to deploy before selecting a tenant to deploy to. Does the option to deploy exist in this case?

I’d like to understand a bit more on your use case to discuss this with my team. Which version of Octopus are you running? Could you change the project to not allow untenanted deployments, or is there a reason you’re using both? Could it be replaced with a new “untenanted” tenant that includes all deployment targets?

I look forward to hearing back!

Kind regards,

Kenny

Hi Kenneth,

I thought it wasn’t doing this in the old portal but I might have been wrong.

This is the use case:
We have 1 tenanted project (not combined) with 35 tenants on it. Not all tentants are on the same version, some are still behind of the latest versions. All Test environment deployments are done through the CI server, but promoting the to UAT or Live is done on a per tenant base and never multiple tenants at the same time.

So when deploying I click on the release number in the column Test and row of the tenant. Then I click “Promote to UAT”. Then the next page is just the generic Deploy release page with only the Environment selected.

It would be very handy if the Tenant is also selected. Because I started from the Tenant row it would make a bit more sense.

Hi,

Thanks for following up and expanding on your use case! I’ve brought this up to my team, and we think it’s a great idea to implement this enhancement. I’ve raised the following issue for this which you can track here.

Can you confirm what you mean specifically by accidentally deploying to all tenants? That could potentially be concerning, but in my testing, promoting a release from a tenant like you’ve outlined, and not selecting a tenant will deploy as untenanted. I’m not sure I fully understand this behavior you’re seeing, and we’d like to see if there’s any issue here. :slight_smile:

We appreciate you taking the time to provide your input on how to improve upon Octopus! Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns going forward.

Kind regards,

Kenny

Hi Kenny,

It looks like this bug was fixed in the old portal already, at one point when you didn’t select any tentants it would deploy to all of them.

Thanks,
Roger

Hi Roger,

Thanks for following up and confirming that! It’s great the issue won’t cause you any grief anymore. Feel free to track the progress of that enhancement issue. :slight_smile:

Don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions in the future.

Kind regards,

Kenny

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.