Deployment failure with Exception HRESULT: 0x800703FA

We received the following error while deploying to an Azure App service today.

"Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentException: (6/25/2019 7:26:00 AM) An error occurred when the request was processed on the remote computer. —> Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentException: Unable to access the IIS configuration system. Please make sure you have IIS 7 (or later) installed. —> System.Exception: Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {2B72133B-3F5B-4602-8952-803546CE3344} failed due to the following error: 800703fa Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800703FA). "

We had removed the application setting “WEBSITE_LOAD_CERTIFICATES” from the App service prior to this deployment. We restarted the app services with no success. Once we re added that specific application setting back in the deployment succeeded. Is there a “snapshot” feature of the Azure environment similar to the snapshot of the Octopus variables and process that would cause this? I am at a loss as to why removing that specific setting from the app would fail the deployment.

Hi Darrin,

Thanks for reaching out! The error that you pasted and the fact that adding a specific App Setting is making your app work seems to indicate that the underlying issue is more on the Azure side rather than something that’s happening during the Octopus deployment.

I recommend you to raise this issue with the Azure team and tell them exactly what you said in this conversation. I also recommend you to mention them that you are deploying your application with Octopus Deploy, which is using the Microsoft.Web.Deployment library to do everything. In fact, the bit of code that’s doing the deployment is open source, so you can also share it with the Azure team: https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Calamari/blob/master/source/Calamari.Azure/Deployment/Conventions/AzureWebAppConvention.cs

I know bouncing you back to create a support request on another system is not what you were hoping for, but there really isn’t much we can do on our side for that error :slightly_frowning_face:

If the MS team pushes back with any Octopus-related question, please feel free to ask away in this thread and we’ll give you a hand.

Best regards,
Dalmiro.

Excellent,
Thanks for the advice Dalmiro! I will open a ticket with Azure Support.