Deployment error: throw "Site `"$SiteName`" does not exist." in script : IISWebSite_BeforePostDeploy.ps1

hi,

I set up a new deployment project in Octopus and tried it out. We already have about 8 working deployment projects that we imported from the old Deployment Manager but this is the first one we tried to set up from scratch.

When I run the deployment it fails with this error:

Copying package contents to 'C:\FOLDERX\DEFAULT\APPNAME’
Info
Copied 109 files
Info
Creating Web Application APPNAME …
Error
Site “APPNAME” does not exist.
Error
At `\Octopus.Features.IISWebSite_BeforePostDeploy.ps1:183 char:3
Error

• throw "Site "$SiteName" does not exist."
    Error

Error

• CategoryInfo : OperationStopped: (Site “APPNAME” does not exist.:String) [], RuntimeException
    Error
  • FullyQualifiedErrorId : Site “APPNAME” does not exist.
    Error
    Error
    Script ‘C:\FOLDERX\DEFAULT\APPNAME\Octopus.Features.IISWebSite_BeforePostDeploy.ps1’ returned non-zero exit code: 1
    Error
    Running rollback conventions…
    Error
    Script ‘C:\FOLDERX\DEFAULT\APPNAME\Octopus.Features.IISWebSite_BeforePostDeploy.ps1’ returned non-zero exit code: 1
    Fatal
    The remote script failed with exit code 1
    Fatal
    deploy the Insight Manager on SERVER01

I don’t understand why it’s saying the site doesn’t exist. when I first tried it and saw this error I created the site manually in IIS on the server, but still get this error so clearly I have something fundamentally wrong in the settings. This is an ASP.Net application.

Could you please help?

With regards, Ian

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out. Could you please follow the below steps and send us a full deployment log so we can check this out in detail?

1) Add these 2 variables to your project http://docs.octopusdeploy.com/display/OD/Debug+problems+with+Octopus+variables

2) Create a new release (so the new variables take effect) and deploy it. If possible skip as many steps as you can and only leave step we are troubleshooting in order to avoid the noise in the log.

3) Send us the raw log of that deployment http://docs.octopusdeploy.com/display/OD/Get+the+raw+output+from+a+task

Thanks!
Dalmiro

HI Dalmiro,

I will do as you said above. Do you know why it’s trying to create the site though? I don’t want it to do anything beyond dropping the files in the right place, which it already does. I would like to understand what setting is causing it to do this:
‘Creating Web Application InsightManager …’

with regards, Ian

Hi Dalmiro,

here is the log file you requested.

with regards, Ian

ServerTasks-3809.log.txt (46 KB)

Hi,

Thanks for sending over those logs! I’m not quite sure I understand what you want to create in IIS. Is it a Web Site, a Web Application or a Virtual Directory? (see screenshot 1).

It does seem like all you want to do is deploy to an existing IIS Web site, but for some reason you picked the “Web Application” feature instead of “Web Site” (See screenshot 2).

Let me know which one you’re trying to create, and also please send me a screenshot of how it looks on IIS (same as my first screenshot here).

Cheers,
Dalmiro

1.IISFeatures.jpg

Hi Dalmiro,

I’m trying to deploy an ASP.Net Web App. Here’s how it is in IIS locally and the same on the server in attachment. IIS Web Application is selected in the ‘IIS Deployment Type’ section so this all looks correct.

Like I said above, I only want it to drop the files. What have I got wrong?

InsightManagerWebApp.png

Hi Ian,

It seems like you have the IIS fields set incorrecly.

You seem to have:

• Web Site Name: InsightManager
  • Virtual Path: InsightManager

When you should have:

• Web Site Name: Default Web Site
  • Virtual Path: FMS.InsightManager

See attached screenshot to know what fields I’m talking about. If it doesn’t work after making that change, please send me the latest deployment log.

Thanks!
Dalmiro

Ah right! - thanks for that. The Site name on the servers is not Default Web Site - it varies according to the client name etc, so I wonder if it’s possible to put this into a variable and refer to it in the Process section?

Totally possible. You can create as many variables as you want, scope them to different roles/targets and then use it on that field.

Brilliant - I’ve set it up and will try it really soon. Thanks very much.

Yeah - it worked this time. Brilliant - thanks for all your help with this. Very pleased.

Glad to hear that!