Deployment Configurations

We’re looking to fully automate build process with TeamCity + Octopus. One of the current hurdle is that we have to prep and package up deployments for different clients. The preping part is where I have some questions as to how Octopus fits in. Currently, we have a master staging site that everything goes to for clients to preview. When it’s ready to be released to the various production environments, we:

1. We strip out a lot irrelevant configurations for particular production servers (eg: logins, passwords, etc. )
  2. We strip out aspx section/sites that may not apply for particular clients

The idea of having 1 release code base to push out is nice, but I’d like to make sure unnecessary data is NOT leaked to the client’s production machine. Could someone help explain how, assuming it’s possible, Octopus could make this work?

Thanks!
Ben

Hi Ben,

Assuming these steps are automatable, could you have an environment per customer, and use a Deploy.ps1 powershell script to delete/remove the content you don’t plan to deploy depending on the current environment?

Paul

Hi Paul, I was only able to find brief explanation of the power shell script you mentioned. However it didn’t answer it for me.

Could you tell me if this script fires on the deployed target or if the server executes it prior to pushing the package to tentacles? The later is preferred to avoid security issues as mentioned in original post.

Thanks for the help.
Ben

Hi Ben,

The scripts are run on the Tentacles.

Paul