Hi, I am trying to install a Windows Service on Spanish Windows, but I get an error saying the “account name is invalid or does not exist.” I am using the Network Service account in the Octopus Deploy Service account drop down. Do I need to use a different account when installing on non-English Windows installs? Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.
Thanks for getting in touch! I’m sorry to hear you are seeing issues deploying a Windows service onto a Windows server in Spanish.
I’m in the process of seeing if I can reproduce this issue and I will touch base with you when I have got an answer here.
Thanks, Lawrence. I am using Octopus Deploy 4.0.9 with an Offline Drop package. It seems the Network Service user from the drop down equates to NT Authority\Network Service, which works fine on English Windows versions but not Spanish versions. From my testing it looks like the user should actually be NT Authority\NetworkService (notice the space in Network Service has been removed). I am able to change the user in the Windows Service install step to a Custom User and enter this user manually to get it to work. Has this been changed in a newer version of Octopus Deploy (I didn’t see any mention of Network Service in the release notes)?
I tried updating our Octopus deploy version to 2018.5.3 and the issue still exists. The deployment package is trying to execute the following command when installing:
sc.exe config “RASTRAC Database Service” binPath= “C:\Program Files\Rastrac Service\Database\DatabaseService.exe” DisplayName=“RASTRAC Database Service” depend= “/” start= “delayed-auto” obj= “NT Authority\Network Service”
and gets the following error:
[SC] ChangeServiceConfig ERROR 1057:
El nombre de la cuenta no es válido o no existe, o bien la contraseña no es válida para el nombre de cuenta especificado.
If I remove the space in Network Service (see below) the sc command executes successfully.
sc.exe config “RASTRAC Database Service” binPath= “C:\Program Files\Rastrac Service\Database\DatabaseService.exe” DisplayName=“RASTRAC Database Service” depend= “/” start= “delayed-auto” obj= “NT Authority\NetworkService”
I believe this change would make the sc command work on all non-English versions of Windows. For now I am going to switch back to using a custom user.
Thank you for your help,
Thanks for the detailed solution, I’ve raised this issue for tracking purposes and I have a fix in the pipeline that removes the space from the
Network Service (and also
Local Service) account and it still works on an English version of Windows, so we should be able to ship this fix in the very near future.
Thank you and kind regards,
This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.