Deploying to Tenants by Name is not logical AND with "Include tenants by tag"

When I want to deploy a release using tenants, I like to select the tenant by name so I can be assured I’m deploying to only the tenant I expect. (For our set up, I normally never want to deploy to more than one customer). But I’ve noticed that if I fill in BOTH the tenant name and then some additional tags, multiple tenants can be selected.

This seems pretty unintuitive to me.

This came up because I’ve recently added a tenant tag set that I use to classify which channels are valid for given tenants. I intended this to be a gaudrail so we didn’t accidentlilly deploy the wrong release to a channel. Now when I deploy a release, the tenant tag set that I’ve set for a channel automatically appears pre-filled in the deployment screen. This also seems a little un-expected, but combined with the behavior above (tenant name not overriding selected tag sets in deployment screen) means that we could very easily deploy to multiple tenants unexpectedly.

Hi,

Thanks for getting in touch! Regarding selecting Tenants for your deployment, Octopus regards the logic here as additive. You use the Tenant tags to group your Tenants for the purpose of deploying to multiple. If you have several tenants with the tag Group1 and add this tag to the deployment, all of the Tenants in Group1 will be added. Even if there is already a Tenant selected. This is designed to accommodate larger and more complex Tenanted deployments.

As for your experiences with using Channels and Tenant tags, this is something I ran into not too long ago and created a GitHub issue for. We are going to add a filter so using Channels and Tenant tags are more intuitive. You should not be able to “accidentally” deploy to the wrong Tenant, which is something we have had some feedback about.

I will add this as a source for the GitHub issue. https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/3664

Let me know what you think.

Best regards,
Daniel

Daniel,

The linked GH issue would solve my problem. This is fairly serious for us, since it would be really easy for us to initiate a deployment to the wrong tenant.

Thanks,
Kyle