Deploying to a Windows Failover cluster

I’m looking to deploy a windows service to a Windows Failover cluster.

Firstly I installed a windows service on each node and then added it as a clustered “Generic service” using the Failover Cluster Manager.

I found the page how to setup clustered tentacles https://octopus.com/docs/deployment-patterns/clustered-listening-tentacles. Looking at my scenario it looks that the application would be deployed to the active node only?

Could you advice if it’s possible to setup the service deployment to the active and all the passive nodes?

Thanks
Darius

Hi,
Thanks for getting in touch! I’m sorry for the long delay in getting back to you! You are absolutely correct, in the document which you linked, we describe how to setup two Tentacles in such a way that when you perform a failover, the deployment happens on an active node. Since the Tentacle home directory is on shared storage, when you swap to a new active node, the shared storage follows along.

I believe in your case, one option to setup the deployment to occur on both active and passive nodes would be to simply install the Octopus Tentacle onto each node separately and deploy to them as per normal. For example, if you have 2 SQL Servers in a cluster and want to copy a file to the root of the C: Drive, if you had an Octopus Tentacle installed on each node you could deploy your project to each node because they would have thir own tentacle.

One use case for clustering listening tentacles could be to ensure that Octopus is using the same endpoint to talk to only the Active node in a cluster.

I hope this has been helpful! Please feel free to keep in touch if you have any further questsions.

Kind regards,
Lawrence.