Deploying a SQL Server Database with a DACPAC

cloud

(carlton@keyloop.co.uk) #1

Hello Support,

The company I’ve recently started a contract with are heavily invested in deploying packages with Octopus Deploy. At the moment, there is a requirement to deploy a SQL Server Database with a DACPAC to a SQL Server database in Azure.

I have been looking at few documents and videos on the best way to deploy a package, like:

However, these documents provide guidance on how to deploy a DACPAC to server that is a IaaS whereby we simple download the tentacle on the machine from your website.

However, ASOS SQL Databases are all PaaS, therefore I don’t think its possible to simply download the tentacle on the database.

Therefore, can someone please show me how to about deploying a DACPAC to a Azure PaaS SQL Database?

I hope the above makes sense.

Thanks

Carlton


(carlton@keyloop.co.uk) #2

Ok, I have tried a few things. I have the following Project

proj1

The first step works fine.

Its the second step that I’m having problems with. The full build is as follows:

When I attempt to create a release I get the following error:

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Carlton


(Shaun Marx) #3

Hi Carlton, thanks for getting in touch.

I have been trying to get this to work on my end as well. I have managed to get past the specific error you are getting by using the name of the package step in the “DACPAC Package Step Name”. You currently have SQL - Deploy DACPAC and probably should be “retrieve dacpac”.

I would be very interested to see whether you are able to deploy successfully after that as I am having some issues connecting to remote databases regardless if it is Azure.

Please let me know how you go.

Regards,
Shaun Marx


(Shaun Marx) #4

Hi Carlton, Just a follow up on my previous reply.

I had a bit of success on my end and basically as long as the IP address of the machine performing the work has been allowed in Azure and the appropriate target platform has been chosen for the Dacpac project i.e. Microsoft Azure SQL Database V12 things should work.

I also ended up being a bit more explicit for the target server name i.e. Server=tcp:server.database.windows.net,1433 but I am sure that isn’t entirely necessary.

I would be very interested to hear whether you managed to get things working on your end as well.

Regards,
Shaun Marx