Deployed Package Must Have A Version Error

We recently upgraded to 2020.4.0 and started to have issues with some deployments. One is consistently failing with this error:

When we looked at the deployment target, we see that there’s a tentacle upgrade pending. Documentation says this shouldn’t be a problem but we get errors trying to upgrade it when we do try:

Going back to the original problem, we haven’t changed our deployments or how we create packages. Deployments worked up until the upgrade for the app. We do have versions:

This is our first issue with Octopus so not really sure where to find more information in logs and how to troubleshoot Octopus issues. Any suggestions / help are appreciated.

Hi Rob,

Thank you for contacting Octopus Support. I’m sorry you are running into this issue.

Would you mind providing a copy of the raw task log from the screenshot? You may attach it here or upload it securely via via Octopus.com -> Sign-In -> Support tab? Let me know once you do that and I’ll have a look at the logs.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,
Donny

Thanks for your reply Donny. I’m trying to upload it securely but I haven’t registered our license on my account. If another user has registered the license can I also do it without impacting their ability to access support, etc, etc? Or should I go through that user to upload it?

Hi @rob.beattie,

Thank you for getting back to me.

If there was already a user associated with the license, the website will let you know. Assuming there isn’t an account associated with the license, you are free to create your account and attach the license.

Let me know if you have any more trouble getting the raw task logs uploaded.

Regards,
Donny

Thanks Donny! I uploaded the file.

Hi Rob,

Thank you for sending that.

I have a few questions:

• Was the package uploaded prior to the upgrade to 2020.4.0?
  • Have you tried creating a new release using the same package?
  • Have you tried uploading the same package as a “new” version then creating a new release?
  • Is this the only package/release/deployment having this issue?

Sometimes tentacles are unable to upgrade due to not having high enough permissions to run the installation. You may create/adjust a Machine Policy to force a tentacle to use a different when updating. You may find this in Infrastructure -> Machine Policies -> Tentacle Update Account (toward the bottom). If that does not work, it may be necessary to manually upgrade that tentacle via the installer from our website.

I look forward to hearing back from you and helping you get this resolved.

Regards,
Donny

Hi Donny!

1. We are generating new packages since the upgrade.
  2. It’s a new release with a new package.
  3. Same.
  4. At the moment yes. I haven’t triggered all our builds but this one appears to be the only broken one. Other window service deployments on the same target machine are working. I will confirm this and upgrade the tentacle manually or with elevated permissions.

Hi @rob.beattie,

If possible, it would be helpful if you could turn variable logging on for this project, then add a step at the end that runs a script with the following:

write-host $OctopusParameters[“Octopus.Action[StepNameHere].Package.PackageId”]
write-host $OctopusParameters[“Octopus.Action[StepNameHere].Package.PackageVersion”]

Be sure to replace “StepNameHere” with the step name for Step 4.

Once all that is done, please upload a copy of the raw task log from this attempt. The goal here is to see if we can isolate the issue as either a tentacle issue or an Octopus Server issue.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Donny

Hi Donny! I uploaded the raw task log.

Hi @rob.beattie,

Thank you for providing that.

Could you provide more information about how the releases are being created for the project having this issue (such as creating it via octo.exe)?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,
Donny

Hi Donny!

I think you may be onto something. We are using the TC plugin but it’s likely an older version of the plugin. Under the hood I’m assuming it’s octo.exe.

We have a second TC instance with a more up to date plugin, I will migrate this deployment to the other server and let’s see if that resolves the issue.

Unfortunately they are the same versions. Both are version 5.5 of the TC plugin.

Hi @rob.beattie,

Thank you for checking that and getting back to me.

At your earliest convenience, could you upload a copy of your process JSON for the project in question?

Let me know once you are able to do that.

Regards,
Donny

Uploaded!

Hi @rob.beattie,

Thank you for providing your process JSON.

I looked through it and didn’t see anything unusual with the process. Would it be possible to upgrade one of your build servers to the latest version of the TC plugin? It looks like we are up to 6.0.1.

Let me know what you think.

Regards,
Donny

Hi Donny, I’m working on the upgrade. We ran into an error rebooting TC and have to get my operations team involved. I will keep you posted.

1 Like

We upgraded the TeamCity plugin to the latest version but still have the same error. We are still using an older tentacle though. I will upgrade that and see if it makes a difference.

Hi @rob.beattie,

Thank you for the update.

Keep me posted. :slight_smile:

Regards,
Donny

I upgraded the tentacle to the latest version and we are still getting the same error. This is with a fresh build and deployment.

Hi @rob.beattie,

I’m going to attempt to reproduce this issue and discuss this further with my team.

I appreciate your patience while we continue to work through this issue.

Regards,
Donny