Deploy to IIS Process Not Sending Package Correctly

I am testing out Octopus Deploy’s features on a custom IIS Server I set up in Microsoft Azure. Right now if I commit and push the asp.net app from Visual Studio, the ADO pipeline builds it and pushes it to Octopus Deploy, then Octopus Deploy attempt to deploy the app onto the IIS Server I configured. This is where it falls apart.

I get confirmation that the deployment was a success, however the site files are not updated in the target directory of the IIS. I am targeting the filepath “C:\inetpub\webroot\Hello Octopus” but when the package gets extracted it has a lot of bloat, the actual site files end up here “C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Hello Octopus\Content\D_C\a\1\s\src\HelloCephalopod\obj\Release\Package\PackageTmp” because of the package.

What am I missing to get this webapp to properly update in the webroot\Hello Octopus location with the correct site files?

Also, when I manually move the asp.net files into the correct directory, I get this when I browse to the localhost and when I access the domain name for the IIS.

Here are my authentication settings in my deploy to IIS step:

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I really want to make Octopus Deploy work :smiley:

Hi @ehjohnson87,

Thanks for reaching out, and sorry to hear you are having trouble with your IIS deployment process in Octopus Deploy, but I would be happy to help take a closer look at the issue!

I get confirmation that the deployment was a success, however the site files are not updated in the target directory of the IIS. I am targeting the filepath “C:\inetpub\webroot\Hello Octopus” but when the package gets extracted it has a lot of bloat, the actual site files end up here “C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Hello Octopus\Content\D_C\a\1\s\src\HelloCephalopod\obj\Release\Package\PackageTmp” because of the package.

Octopus Deploy extracts packages as is, so this must be how your package is currently structured. To account for this, you could either update your build process to create the package as needed for the deployment and push this instead, or you could add additional steps in your Octopus Deploy deployment process to transform these directories/files (depending on your needs).

If you don’t want to modify the build process to push your structured package, you could leverage the Custom Deployment Scripts feature of our IIS step template to inject directory/file modifications before/during/after the deployment:

Also, when I manually move the asp.net files into the correct directory, I get this when I browse to the localhost and when I access the domain name for the IIS.

If you want your IIS website to be accessible to the public, you would want to change the IIS Authentication setting in Octopus Deploy to Enable Anonymous Authentication. With Windows Authentication enabled, you will need to supply valid credentials for an IIS user that has access to the site (as configured in IIS). Let me know if you are trying to achieve a different configuration, and I’d be glad to help further.

I hope this initial information helps, but let me know if I can further assist.

Regards,

Britton

1 Like