Deploy-Release with octo.exe

Hey :), currently I am using octo.exe deploy-release command from jenkins, in order to execute the corresponding steps automatically in octopus, but I am having the following situation and I am not sure if is the expected behavior:

Preconditions in Octopus:
Environment - Project - Steps(Scripts in Powershell) - Variables

Preconditions in Jenkins:
Environment - Job - Build Step => Execute the octo.exe deploy-release command

Steps:

1. Change the variables in the Octopus Project(Step Templates - Parameters or Variables)
  2. Execute the job created in Jenkins(octo.exe deploy-release)

Actual Result:
The release is created and the steps are executed, however the variables that were updated, have the values of the lasted release and not the values currently updated, but when I create a release from octopus an then I execute the octo.exe deploy-release from jenkins apparently the variables are updated, just if I execute from octopus first.

So, I am not sure if is the correct behavior, if so, is there any option that I could take in order to catch the last changes in my variables without create a release from octopus first??

Thanks in advance!!!

Hi Lucero,

Thanks for getting in touch! I’m terribly sorry about the delay in getting back to you!

I suspect this is the correct behavior. When you create a release, it takes a snapshot of it which includes all of the details of the project for that release, including variables and deployment process, etc. Your Jenkins job looks like it’s only deploying a release, so I think you’d just need to add a create-release in Jenkins for it to deploy the updated release with the updated variables. You can refer to our Jenkins integration doc page which outlines this.

I hope this helps! Let me know how you go and if you have any further questions. :slight_smile:

Kind regards,

Kenny

Hey Kenneth,

Thank you so much for the answer :slight_smile:

Regards,
Lucero

Hi Lucero,

You’re very welcome! Don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions going forward. :slight_smile:

Kind regards,

Kenny