Deploy Ispac files to Azure managed instance using octopus deploy

Hello Everyone,
We are trying to migrate SSIS packages from on-premise to Azure data factory with a endpoint on Azure managed instance for SSISDB catalog using lift and shift methodology . Could anyone please let me know if we have to use octopus deploy for automating the SSIS deployments ,what steps we need to follow or any documentation template that is available? Below are out needs and doubts

• We will be using a service principle as a admin account on octopus deploy.

• Should we use the on-premise octopus server or provision a Azure VM and install octopus server on the VM so that it has better integration with Azure services?

• Do we need to install tentacle agent on the deployment target ? If so , out target is Azure Managed instance , we don’t have control to install any custom software’s on it.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need more clarity

Greetings! You do not need to install the Tentacle agent on the deployment target, this can be accomplished with the use of a worker. I was able to do this using the template https://library.octopus.com/step-templates/27567d46-b935-4ee6-8b2d-8c165edada4e/actiontemplate-deploy-ispac-ssis-project-from-a-package-parameter which will run on a worker machine. Give me some time to recreate the test, it’s been a couple of years :slight_smile:

Regards,

Shawn

Sure. Thank you

Thank you for your patience, it had been ages since I’d done this and had to remember the steps to get the Data Factory and Integration Runtime configured :slight_smile: I can confirm that the Deploy ispac SSIS project from a Package parameter template will deploy SSIS packages to a Data Factory in Azure using a worker. The worker itself doesn’t need anything installed on it, the template uses the PowerShell module SqlServer, which it will download a temporary copy if it’s not found on the worker

My test used Sql Authentication to the Azure SQL database, was this how you intended on connecting?

Regards,

Shawn

Hi Shawn, Thanks for the vert quick turn around , Yes , I will be deploying the packages to Azure managed instance (SSISDB catalog) with Azure service principle authentication .
Thank you very much for the help , will keep you updated with my implementation.

Absolutely! I’m not sure it’s going to work with a Service Principal. To my knowledge, connecting to the Azure SQL instance works with SQL Authentication or Azure AD. The template currently only works with Integrated Authentication and SQL Authentication. I believe I can add Azure AD and Managed Identity, but it will most likely be a new template to support those authentication mechanisms. Please let me know if this is something that will need to be done.

Regards,

Shawn

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.