Deploy a Release Step - Missing User Error

Hello,

We are encountering an issue with scheduled triggers. We have a project with a scheduled trigger, which creates the release and then deploys it to the first environment in the lifecycle, specific to one tenant. As it runs through the steps, when it gets to a step of type “Deploy a Release” (a step template by Octopus Deploy), the step always fails with the following error message.

The step failed: Activity Step 5 on the Octopus Server failed with error ‘The resource ‘users-system’ was not found.’.

This error message only occurs if the deployment was triggered by a schedule. If you re-deploy the release (“Try Again” button or otherwise), the step succeeds without complaining.

We are running Octopus v2018.4.10. I can provide logs if you need them.

Hi Skyler,

Thanks for getting in touch! I’m sorry you’re hitting this unintended and annoying bug. I’ve been able to reproduce this behavior and raised the following issue to get this looked into and fixed.

I appreciate you bringing this to our attention and providing the repro steps. Don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions or concerns going forward. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

1 Like

I have run into the same issue on v2018.5.3.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a project which is connected to a tenant in at least one environment. Set up the process to deploy some package.

1. Create a release for the project created above.

1. Create a project to serve as a deployer for the project created in step 1 and connect it to the same tenant in the same environment(s).

(see image 2 from step 1)

1. Add a step to the deployer project which will deploy a release from the project created in step 1.

1. Add a scheduled trigger to the deployer project which will create and deploy a new release to the tenant which is connected to this project to some environment.

1. When trigger is fired, notice the error.

Looks like a User with id ‘users-system’ is being searched for…notice this query:

exec sp_executesql N'SELECT TOP 1 *
FROM dbo.[User]
WHERE ([Id] = @id)
ORDER BY [Id]',N'@id nvarchar(50)',@id=N'users-system'

I went in to my DB and changed one User to have the ‘users-system’ id, and then the problem was resolved. My triggered release deploy was successful.

Selecting the option to ‘Try Again’ also works. And when it is manually retried, notice that a valid user is searched for in the User table:

exec sp_executesql N'SELECT TOP 1 *
FROM dbo.[User]
WHERE ([Id] = @id)
ORDER BY [Id]',N'@id nvarchar(50)',@id=N'Users-1'
2 Likes

I should also mention, as a side note, your forum system does not let me edit my original post if I’m only changing the title. I tried editing my post title to add quotes around “Deploy a Release”, but upon clicking “Save”, the dialog closes, and nothing is saved. Also no errors either.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.