Deploy a release - accessing variables from last release

Hi. I love the idea of the “deploy a release” step template, and would like to use it to manage multi-component projects. If the deployment step is actually run, you can of course access output variables from it (e.g. package locations)…

However, I’m at a loss as to how to find package locations for later use if you use a deployment condition which does not result in the release being deployed (i.e. if you select “If the selected release is not the current release in the environment” or “If the selected release has a higher version than the current release in the environment”)

Ideally, the variables from the release that Octopus has found as having been already deployed, would be made available to the calling release in place of those that would normally be made available.

Or am I missing something…?

Hi Steve,

Thanks for getting in touch. This is an interesting issue but unfortunately, I don’t have a great answer. I don’t believe Octopus supports anything like you describe at the moment. The best I’m aware of is the previous deployment/release system variables but I don’t know exactly how they behave in the ‘release’ step. The best way to see what’s available is to turn on variable printing and deploy a release to see exactly what is available in the deployment task log.

This looks like a gap in our Deploy a Release step. If you think this is something we should add, I’d recommend adding a suggestion to our UserVoice site for our consideration. I did a search and there are a few ideas around the Deploy a release step. We regularly review the top suggestions and add them to our backlog.

Hope this helps!

Thanks

Rob

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.