DB deployment as windows user best practices

Hello All,

First of all this is great product. However right now I am stumbled how to deploy db changes using windows user account? After installation tentacle runs as local system (which is not allowed to exectue sql scripts against local db). Hence question what is the best approach to execute dbup application as certain windows user?

Thanks,
Tomasz

One idea would be to somehow run Deploy.ps1 as a particular user, which could be configured from Octopus Web portal with proper variables? Would it be possible?

Hi Tomasz,

Thanks for getting in touch! We have a couple of documentation pages to show how you can run Tentacle under a different user.

Hope that helps!
Vanessa

Hi there,

I’ve got the same snag. I wish to dynamically run deploy.ps1 or all scripts as the user initiating the deploy job. Specifically for SQL jobs. We have reporting as to who does what where. Using 1 user within powershell or Octopus isn’t indicative of a team of 10 guys doing deployments so looking for a clever way around it.

Answered here http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/questions/3585-impersonating-sql-installs