Dashboard showing all environment columns for project groups

Hi,
I have a multi-team Octopus Deploy instance (updated today to 2018.11.2). Each team has their own project groups, projects within those groups, channels for those projects, lifecycles connected to the channels, environments connected to the lifecycles, and finally, each team’s deployment targets.

When the dashboard is set up to show only the relevant project groups per team, for some project groups (but not all) the columns across show all environments, not just the ones connected through channels to the projects. I am unable to figure out why and how to fix.

My theory is that when the projects first were created, they get a channel by default for the system default lifecycle. This lifecycle contains all environments, and once a release is created in this channel, the dashboard shows all these as columns. Even if these releases are removed completely, the dashboard remembers and keeps showing all environments that were relevant at some point in time. It just cumulates without resetting.

I would very much like to know how to “reset” the dashboard state or project group total environment state.

Thanks.

I figured it out finally (had to trawl the database a bit before I understood it). In addition to channels, projects can also under the “Process” tab be connected to a lifecycle. This affects the dashboard display. Once I switched the projects away from the default lifecycle (which had almost 20 environments) my dashboard was back to how I expected it to be.

Hi Henrik,

Thanks for getting in touch! I’m glad you resolved this, I have had a few cases of this recently. The Process page Lifecycle setting has been causing a bit of dashboard confusion. The solution you posted is the same I would have recommended.

We are hoping to work out some kind of solution to this behaviour in the future.

If you have any further thoughts or questions here, please don’t hesitate to let me know. :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Daniel

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.