[Dashboard] No css

I’ve installed version, but I’ve got an error when browsing the dashboard : there is no CSS rendered.

The /Content/Octopus.less?v= throw a 500 error.

In the event log, I see the following error :

Exception information: 
Exception type: NullReferenceException 
Exception message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at dotless.Core.Response.CssResponse.HandleCompression()
   at dotless.Core.Response.CssResponse.WriteCss(String css)
   at dotless.Core.Response.CachedCssResponse.WriteCss(String css)
   at dotless.Core.HandlerImpl.Execute()
   at dotless.Core.LessCssHttpHandler.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
   at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
   at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Server is Win 2008 R2 w/ sp1.

I also get this warning in the even log after installing portal :

There was an error during processing of the managed application service auto-start for application pool: 'Octopus Portal'.  Some application services may not have been processed correctly.  Please check the configuration for application service auto-start for the application(s) assigned to this application pool.  The data field contains the error code.

And the error code is 02000780.

I’ve discovered that this error only happens when I browse the portal using a additionnal binding added manually.

Suppose octopus portal was installed using the port 8090, I can browse http://localhost:8090/ with success.

Bug if I add manually under IIS a binding to, for example http://octopus.example.com (on port 80), then this binding will not serve .less requests.

Edit : this error finally only happens from my remote computer. On local machine (the server), the url http://octopus.example.com/ works perfectly. Must be something related to proxy or something else…

Finally I think this error must be related only to dotless in our configuration.

I’ll try to diagnose this and inform the dotless project.

This problem have been adressed in last dotless version ( according to this commit : https://github.com/dotless/dotless/commit/8a88d6cf711dd8d53df1e2cc32d702aca8543535

I’ve manually replaced the dll in the bin folder and it now works.

You can consider this problem as closed.

PS : the web.config from the portal has debug=“true”.

Wow, nice find, thanks Thomas! I’ll update the dotless version tonight and do a new release.