Dashboard load time is very long with a lot of projects

Hello, we have more than 500 deployment projects in Octopus. Loading a dashboard takes a lot of time. It’s annoying. Can this be improved somehow? The “configure dashboard” feature doesn’t solve the issue. It works for some people in our company, who need access to a limited number of projects, but our team usually needs access to all projects.

p.s. Octopus 3.3.8

Hi Dmitry,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I apologize that our dashboard performance is letting you down and has become annoying. We will look into improving our dashboard query and improving the rendering speed when there are a large number of dashboard items.

I have created a GitHub ticket to fix the issue which you can follow here: https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/2472

Cheers,
Shane

Hi Shane,
thanks for filling a ticket for it.

Another way to solve is not only to improve performance, but perhaps rethink the dashboard concept. Perhaps, introduce concept of several dashboards for single user with dynamic switch between them. Some sort of dynamic project search. Or smart dashboards linked to project groups. Or some other ideas.

Also, having some sort of dynamic search on a dashboard would be cool. This is all about how we use dashboard. It’s clear that we don’t use dashboard as dashboard when there are 500+ projects on it (it’s just impossible). So in this sense dashboard is useless. But the very idea of a dashboard is good. So, perhaps, dashboard rethinking is better idea.

Hi Dmitry,

Thanks for the suggestions. We are giving the UI a bit of love in 3.4 and I think the ability to filter and group data on the dashboard would be a welcome change. I get your point that the dashboard is no longer a dashboard when there are 500 projects on it. Having somewhere to get a good Octopus overview with the ability to dig deeper when required would help.

Cheers,
Shane