Dashboard frequently is "unable to establish connection"

Frequently getting an unable to establish connection error from the dashboard. See attached screenshot.

The web application is obviously active so a network connection to the server isn’t the issue. What else is the dashboard trying to access in order to show content and what possible reason could it have for not gaining a connection?

Thanks

Hi Andy,

Thanks for getting in touch! In the screenshot you have attached, the application is not running. It preloads a few bits of the application and then will try to load more - in this case the dashboard but it cannot access the Octopus Service at that time. So to try to troubleshoot could you enable the debugging mode in chrome and view the networking tab. This should give you an idea of what is happening.

Let me know what you find!
Vanessa

Hi Vanessa

Thanks for getting back to me about this.

I have debugged using Chrome to see if I can ascertain what’s going on. The frequent polling using the URL: http://hvnsrvtfs02/api/dashboard is occasionally failing with ERR_CONNECTION_RESET. It attempts a few times in succession and then picks back up.

I’m guessing that perhaps it’s when our network is a little too busy for this call to return within the required timeout period?

Having said that, during the “outage period”, there are some parts of the dashboard I can still access but still get a network error. I assume that’s due to parts of the application being local to my browser and the failing parts being Ajax calls to get data?

Thanks
Andy

Hi Andy,

Yeah it sounds like a network issue between you and the OD server. When Octopus itself is slow it will continue to load and give a message in the logs that it took too long to load the dashboard, but it doesn’t timeout or error in that way. You are also correct about the parts of the app being local, and the rest being called. If you were to reload the whole app/page at this time it would show the error that the whole application is not running.

Vanessa