Dashboard do not observe channels lifecycles

Octopus version 3.2.3 do not list environments from channels lifecycles in Dashboard.
It add to dashboard only environments from default lifecycle.

Hi Sergey,

Thanks for your feedback! When channels was released there was a deliberate decision to only include the project default Lifecycle environments and not each from each channel.
Mostly due to the already complex queries needed to build the dashboard. To be able to see all environments on the dashboard for a project we would recommend making the default Lifecycle include those environments.
If each channel has its own Lifecycle defined it shouldn’t actually have any effect on your deployment channels.

We aren’t outside of the idea of changing this, but with our upcoming MT feature we will be making a bunch of changes to the dashboard so I have added this for consideration.
I am a fan of the current behavior as it lets you define what you do want to see on the dashboard without having other configuration values.

Thanks,
Vanessa

Hi,

I’d just like to add that I too was looking for a solution for this “issue” and read your reply. Just like you suggested I created a new lifecycle and channel and just named it for my project with “DASH” in the name, and made it default.

None of my project processes are set up to run on the DASH channel så it’s pretty safe.
I guess the downside is having one extra channel and lifecycle to manage in the library, and say with 10 projects thats 10 extra “things” to look trough in the library. Not a big deal, but I guess there are bigger environments out there.

My goal when I started out with this was being able to show both my production environments as well as one or more DEV environments on the dashboard so that any manager could get a quick idea of project status. While still limiting which environments you could deploy to on each channel/lifecycle.

Hi Bjørn and Sergey,

I am happy to say that this has been fixed in 3.4. The dashboard will now use any environment deployed from any Lifecycle in any channel for each project.
So when you upgrade to 3.4 you should be able to be rid of your DASH channel :slight_smile:

Vanessa

Hi Vanessa,
Thanks! Looking forward to 3.4 then.
Though it did somewhat work the way I wanted, I realized it would only show packages from a certain release apparently. If I deployed a package to say a production environment, with a production channel and production lifecycle, the dashboard channel/lifecycle which contained production and development environments would still not show the development release at a certain point on the project dashboard. The development environment though is about 3-4 releases behind since I’ve been doing some test deploys with the same package over and over again on the production environment. I don’t know, there might be a rule to the way the dashboard is built which “obsoletes” and hides certain environments at some point if there has been no release to them.

In any case, thanks for your help and the speedy reply. Very happy with Octopus Deploy so far regardless :slight_smile:
I think I’ll just let the production environments from now on be the default so that at least I can have an overview of them on the project(s) dashboard. Once we have 3.4 installed I hope to get the development environments back in the limelight as well.

//Bjørn

Hi Bjørn,

The secret to making it work as you would like is to have the Lifecycle of all environments you want on the dashboard to be the Lifecycle assigned to the default channel.

Vanessa